Dance Marathon pops off for an electric finale

Dance Marathon sees a surge in energy with its Power Hour.
James Year
Dancers participate during the Power Hour at Dance Marathon at the IMU on Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018. (James Year/The Daily Iowan)

During Power Hour, the home stretch of Dance Marathon, the day was cranked up to 11.

Executive Director Alex Linden took the stage to give one last speech to the dancers before Power Hour began.

“No matter how much time is left, give it your all,” Linden said. “Love Dance Marathon more than you’ve loved it before.”

Then, a Morale Captains took to the stage to raise the mood with their specialty dance. When the dance was done, the DJs asked the crowd if they were ready for Power Hour, and the dancers responded with a thunderous yes.

Glow sticks illuminated the room in green, and Power Hour began. The combination of music and the crowd screaming “Let’s go Hawks” and “FTK” shook the walls. Beloved Hawkeyes mascot Herky surfed over a sea of dancers.

First-time dancer Randee Thuesen said she has had a lot of fun at Dance Marathon and discussed the juxtaposition of the Kiddo Graduation and awards with the madness of Power Hour.

“It was a complete 180,” Thuesen said. “But it kinda makes sense. It’s like a celebration.”

Zoe Burns, another first timer, nursed a broken leg and found the energy of her first Dance Marathon and first Power Hour “insane.”

“There was so much energy that could never be forgotten,” Burns said. “It’s a really good way to honor the families of those who lost their battles with cancer, and that’s what it’s all about.”