Lon Moeller presents his qualifications and discusses the changes he would make as a the new Vice President of Student Life during the public forum in the Pappajohn Business Building in Iowa City, Iowa on Wednesday, May 3, 2017. (The Daily Iowan/Anthony Vazquez)

Lon Moeller selected as provost of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

After Barry Butler’s departure in 2017, Associate Provost Lon Moeller is headed to the same Florida institution later this spring.

By Marissa Payne

marissa-payne@uiowa.edu

A second University of Iowa administrator is headed to a Florida university.

Lon Moeller, the associate provost for undergraduate education and dean of University College, has been named the next senior vice president for academic affairs and provost of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, the UI announced Tuesday.

Moeller’s move to Embry-Riddle follows former UI Executive Vice President and Provost P. Barry Butler being named president of the institution in the spring of 2017. It also comes after Moeller was named one of the final four candidates for the position of UI vice president for Student Life before the university selected Melissa Shivers for the position in May 2017.

Butler said in the Embry-Riddle announcement that the search for a provost was competitive and Moeller has shown he prioritizes bolstering student success.

“Throughout his career, Lon has focused on helping students succeed and cultivating a supportive, productive academic environment,” Butler said.

RELATED: University of Iowa bids Butler farewell

Moeller said Embry-Riddle has a tremendous legacy of innovation in the aviation and aerospace fields.

“I’m impressed by the ‘can-do’ attitude I have seen at the university, and I look forward to working with the university community to continue to provide significant and transformative educational opportunities to Embry-Riddle students,” he said.

According to the UI announcement, Moeller’s last day at the UI will be in late March. Interim Provost Sue Curry will name a person to take his place during the interim that month.

“We will miss him tremendously, but he leaves the university better for his strong civic and academic engagement,” Curry said in the UI announcement.

RELATED: Moeller strengthens UI’s presence on governor’s STEM council

Moeller has worked at the UI for more than 20 years as a clinical professor and associate dean in the Tippie College of Business, and he is a UI alumnus. Curry said Moeller has provided leadership in undergraduate education, including the “successful incorporation of distance education into University College.”

“I would like to thank Lon for his tremendous service to the University of Iowa and to the state,” Curry said. “We wish him and his wife, Linda, great happiness in Florida.”