Tennis squads drop 2 matches

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Shiva
Iowa’s Danielle Burich readies a forehand during a tennis match between Iowa and Northern Iowa in Iowa City on Saturday, Jan. 20, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Panthers, 7-0. (Shivansh Ahuja/The Daily Iowan)

Both the Iowa men’s and women’s teams competed this past weekend, falling in their respective meets.

The men’s team lost (4-0) to No. 4 Georgia in Athens, Georgia. Iowa started off the afternoon with a win in doubles. Jake Jacoby and Joe Tyler toppled a pair of Bulldog athletes. However, that’s about all that fell in Iowa’s favor. Iowa lost all six of the singles matches and dropped a pair of doubles, but those two matches finished close.

“We continued to play great doubles today, but unfortunately, we couldn’t finish the match at No. 1 doubles when we served for it at 6-5 and had match point in the tiebreaker at No. 3 doubles,” head coach Ross Wilson said in a release.

Meanwhile, the women dropped their match with Washington State (5-2) in Missoula, Montana.

Zoe Douglas and Yufei Long kicked off the meet on a high note, taking down Washington State’s Barbora Michalkova and Melisa Ates (6-1), but Elise van Heuvelen and Montana Crawford dropped their match against Guzal Yusupova and Tiffany Mylonas (6-1).

In singles, van Heuvelen fell at the No. 1 spot to Michaela Bayerlova (6-3, 6-2).

Long picked it up, however, taking down Mylonas (6-4, 6-1). Douglas continued, taking down Yusupova (7-6, 7-6).

“Zoe and Yufei earned incredibly hard-fought singles wins against tough opponents, so that is really great to see,” head coach Sasha Schmid said in a release.

The women’s team had previously taken down Montatna (6-1) on Jan. 27.

The Hawkeyes have a slight break in the action before traveling to Denton, Texas, on Feb. 3 to take on North Texas. The following day, the team will travel to Dallas to take on SMU.