… And they waited for the upper weights

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan
Iowa wrestler Spencer Lee grapples with Michigan wrestler Drew Martin at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, Jan. 27, 2018. The Wolverines defeated the Hawkeyes 19-17. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

On Jan. 27 in Carver-Hawkeye, Iowa headed into the match ranked No. 4 and Michigan at No. 7. Those rankings will shake up, especially after the Hawkeyes’ performance on the mats.

True freshman Spencer Lee kicked off the day with an explosive performance, 1 point shy of ending the match in the first period. His bonus points, the bonus points senior Brandon Sorensen scored with a pin, and the two wins by decision boosted Iowa’s score.

Michigan scored only 1 bonus point, but simply winning six matches by decision did Iowa in, snapping the Hawkeyes’ nine-year winning streak against the Wolverines.

RELATED: What are you waiting for? — the question that will drive success against Michigan

The losses that hurt the most were the final four weights — the same four weights that cost Iowa in Columbus a week ago.

“It’s a theme,” said head coach Tom Brands. “That was a winnable dual even without [sophomore Michael] Kemerer. We had some bonus points, and we needed bonus points. Sorensen and Lee showed up for bonus points. But we have to get guys more competitive in all positions.”

For the lighter weight classes, the issue is frustrating. At the end of the day, though, they can only go out there and continue to try to do the job, hoping the rest of the team pulls their weight.

RELATED: Iowa Wrestling’s Undefeated Middle Three: Expectation

“I just go out there and get the job done,” said freshman Alex Marinelli. “Obviously, we lost, and it’s kind of rough. We’re the Iowa Hawkeye wrestling team, you know? We don’t take losses very easily.”

Marinelli didn’t even take his own close win easily — the Hawkeyes can’t settle for decisions — they need to dominate.

Lee’s response was along the same lines but taking a step back.

“If everyone does what he needs to do, then the team’s score will show that,” he said.

RELATED: Spencer Lee shines, but Iowa falls to Ohio State

Aside from the sorely missed points Kemerer (probably) would have scored, a few key weight classes were the culprits in the disappointing final score.

“I know that [Cash] Wilcke has ability, and that’s a guy we have to get going,” Brands said. “He gave up two easy takedowns in the second period. That’s just like going blank. Sam Stoll has a history with [Michigan’s senior Adam Coon]. There might be a little bit of ‘big brother’ there, and Stoll has beaten him before. But this guy has definitely got the better of us in the past, and we have to get beyond that.”

Getting Wilcke going and getting Stoll past his first loss of the season will be key steps. Wrestling Joey Gunther at 174 will also provide insight into that struggling weight class, and restoring junior Mitch Bowman’s confidence will also be in order.

RELATED: Iowa wrestling falls to Michigan

But this is all easier said than done. Unfortunately, caving in a match is even easier.

“When you look at all year, when things kind of unravel in close matches, it happened too easy,” said Brands. “That takedown at heavyweight was too easy. Those two takedowns at 197 in the second period were too easy. It just can’t be that easy. They have to figure it out. It’s not the end of the world, but it might be getting close. We are in the third week of January, so we are getting to where we have to figure it out. We have to fight out there.”