Iowa City Ped Mall shooting trial wraps up first week

Lamar Wilson of Iowa City walks into the court room during a case management hearing for Lamar Wilson vs. Johnson County in the Johnson County courthouse on Friday, Oct. 27, 2017. Wilson’s lawyers asked the judge to dismiss charges against him using Iowa’s “stand your ground” defense. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

The trial of Lamar Wilson, the suspect accused in last summer’s Pedestrian Mall shooting, has wrapped up its first week in Polk County, where it was moved from Johnson County because of extensive pretrial publicity.

Wilson is charged with one count of first-degree murder, two counts of attempted murder, and a count of intimidation with a dangerous weapon in connection with events that occurred during a shooting on the Ped Mall on Aug. 27, 2017, during the hour leading to bar close.

None of the three men Wilson allegedly shot were armed. The shooting took place in a walkway near the Sheraton Hotel and in the vicinity of many bars at a time when many UI students and others were present.

The case has received widespread attention because the defense is using Iowa’s new “stand your ground” law, but that issue won’t be ruled on until after the current trial.

First Assistant County Attorney Dana Christiansen said he expects state witnesses will testify all through next week.

One of Wilson’s attorney, Matt Shimanovsky, contended in his opening statement, published in the Des Moines Register, that another man who had been arrested after the shooting, Donte R. Taylor, was the one who escalated the violence with a Facebook post.

Taylor, who is from Cedar Rapids, is expected to testify at Wilson’s trial. His own trial is set for May 8, and he has pleaded not guilty to several weapons charges.

Defense lawyers won’t dispute whether Wilson shot and killed Kaleek Jones, but whether Wilson felt his life was in danger.

-Gage Miskimen