Reader comments: January 2018

Daily Iowan online readers react to this month’s stories.
Pedestrians+cross+Clinton+Street+and+enter+the+Pedestrian+Mall+in+Downtown+Iowa+City+on+Monday%2C+June+27%2C+2016.+
File photo
Pedestrians cross Clinton Street and enter the Pedestrian Mall in Downtown Iowa City on Monday, June 27, 2016.

Guest Opinion: Religious freedom at UI (Sam Obsorne), 1/22

“The university supports BLinC’s right to hold their homophobic religious opinion in private, but being an officially recognized student organization is not a right but a privilege. Incumbent upon student organizations to retain this privilege is to uphold the university’s non-discrimination clause.” – Joseph Stiefel

“The University of Iowa prohibits discrimination in employment, educational programs, and activities on the basis of race, creed, color, RELIGION, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, status as a U.S. veteran, service in the U.S. military, sexual orientation, gender identity, associational preferences, or any other classification that deprives the person of consideration as an individual. The university also affirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities and equal access to university facilities. Non-discrimination statement pertains to the University’s actions.” – Nick Barnes

Column: Responding to Sexual Assault (Wylliam Smith), 1/17

“Wrote a poem for you:

“Follow the law unheard survivors!”

No one cares if you can’t
get mental healthcare
in Iowa. No one cares
about your sense of justice.

Deal with it!
Most important of all:
Stay civil! Don’t get too rowdy!
Painting bricks — bad!

Having no one listen
while suffering greatly
without healthcare, a civil
platform or justice — good!

Rationalize your suffering!
Don’t fight fire with fire.
But look at how I fire back!
Look at how I vandalize!” – Brad Pector

RELATED: Reader comments: Gay vs. black oppression

University Camera bids farewell to Iowa City after nearly 50 years (Aadit Tambe), 1/16

“University Camera is great in the pre-digital age with Kodak Films and Kodak Papers especially Tri-X and Kodacolor. A lot [of] photojournalists and artists went there near UIowa School of Journalism and Mass Communication. Roger and the staff were always smiling and helpful about photo advice. Cheers from CAMERAlot the digital book.” – Russ Redsville

“Oh, the $$$ I dropped there when I was a student and worked at the DI.” – Catherine Breitenbucher

Additional funding cuts to Iowa higher-education likely in 2018 (Marissa Payne), 1/9

“The republicans always attack higher education.” – Ross Sherwood

RELATED: Reader comments: Week of 12/3/17