Track concludes Larry Wieczorek Invitational

Track fans were far from disappointed on Jan. 19-20 at the Larry Weiczorek Invitational in the Recreation Building.
Nick Rohlman
Iowa’s Josh Braverman competes during the Larry Wieczorek Invitational on Saturday, Jan. 20, 2018. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

The Larry Wieczorek Invitational was anything but just another indoor track meet in the Recreation Building — the Iowa track and field team joined a plethora of schools to put on a show Jan. 19-20.

Other schools competing were Arizona, Minnesota, Florida State, LSU, Kansas State, Wisconsin, Virginia, and Iowa State.

The meet also included 32 professional athletes. The headliner was Aries Merritt, a world-record holder and Olympic medalist in the 110-meter hurdles. He enjoyed a rounds of applause on numerous occasions and ran a time of 7.54 seconds in the 60-meter hurdles. That time was good enough for second in the world and first in the country.

Former Hawkeye Aaron Mallett finished second behind Merritt with a time of 7.7 seconds.

Georganne Moline, another veteran of the 2012 Olympics, became the new world leader in the 400 meters and won the event with times of 51.94 seconds and 52.35 seconds.

Another former Hawkeye and Olympian, Troy Doris, won the triple jump with a mark of 16.35 meters.

Track, facility, meet, and world records were shattered throughout the invitational.

For Iowa, Laulauga Tausaga once again shot up the record books. Last week at the Hawkeye Invitational, she moved from sixth to third all time in Iowa history for the shot put with a throw of 15 meters. On Jan. 20, she set the Hqwkeye record in the women’s shot put with a throw of 15.87 meters. The previous mark had stood since 1985.

William Dougherty won the heptathlon with a school record of 5,572 points, a number that put him fifth in the NCAA.

Kevin Docherty ran a 4:11.72 mile, and Nat Mylenek finished third with a time of 4:09.73.

Iowa All-American Mar’yea Harris competed against two of the best in the world — Fred Kerley and A.J. Bailey — in the 400 meters. He finished with a time of 46.5 seconds, good for the seventh-fastest time in the world and first in the Big Ten.

The Iowa men won the event.

The Hawkeyes’ next meet will the Black and Gold Premier in the Recreation Building on Jan. 27.