Iowa gymnastics begins strong schedule

Iowa head coach Larissa Libby huddles with her athletes during a women’s gymnastics meet in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Friday, Jan. 13, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Spartans, 195.475-193.875. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

The Iowa men’s and women’s gymnastics teams are back in the gym this weekend, facing some tough competition early in the season.

The women will compete at home at 7 p.m. as they take on Ohio State in their second Big Ten meet of the season.

Last time out, the GymHawks took home the win against Michigan State on the road in a comeback that proved the strength and mentality of this year’s team.

“No team should fall four times and win a meet,” head coach Larissa Libby said. “In their defense, I felt like they were able to put enough pressure on the other team to stay in the hunt, and you can’t teach that. That’s instinct.”

That instinct will push the Hawkeyes forward to compete to their best ability in each meet.

“I think it’s huge to understand the team dynamic, from that aspect, and make sure they are pushing at all times, that they never think they’re out of it,” Libby said.

A big part of tonight’s meet is that the team will compete in Carver-Hawkeye in front of the home fans.

“We’ve had two really long trips. I’m hoping to give our fans — who give so much time investing in our kids — a great show,” Libby said. “I’m hopeful the team will do what we think they’re capable of and compete at a level that is a national-caliber team; that’s what they are, we’re just struggling to show that right now.”

The No. 8 men’s team will travel to Chicago this weekend for an afternoon meet on Jan. 21.

Iowa will face off against No. 16 Illinois-Chicago for the second weekend in a row. On Jan. 13 at the Windy City Invitational, Iowa beat Illinois-Chicago, 393.200-356.800.