GymHawks win, men third in Chicago

Both the Iowa men and women gymnastic teams return home from competition with much needed knowledge on the future of their seasons
Gymnasts prepare to perform floor routines during the Black and Gold intrasquad in the Field House on Friday, Dec. 1, 2017. The Hawkeyes men’s gymnastics team debuted their 2018 roster during the event. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

On Jan. 13, the Iowa women’s gymnastics team recorded its first Big Ten win, while the men took home third place in their first meet.

The GymHawks faced Michigan State in the season’s Big Ten opener, winning, 193.375-192.900.

Starting off the meet on the uneven bars, junior Maria Ortiz and senior Melissa Zurawski led the Hawkeyes with 9.750 each. Despite their performances, the Spartans pulled ahead, 48.625-47.650.

Ortiz had another strong performance on the vault, winning with a score of 9.775. Iowa won the event, 48.650-48.125, but still trailed.

Senior Lanie Snyder and sophomore Clair Kaji posted scores of 9.750 in their floor routines, good to tie for third. That put the Hawkeyes over the top, and they led, 144.950-144.275.

To close out the meet, junior Sydney Hogan recorded a 9.850 to win the beam in her college début. As a whole, Iowa scored 48.425 to secure the win.

The women will make their home début on at 7 p.m. Friday against Ohio State.

The Iowa men traveled to Chicago to take part in the Windy City Invitational.

Freshman Bennet Huang recorded a 13.250 in the floor competition to lead the Hawkeyes and finish 10th. He also led the team in his high-bar début, ending up fifth at 13.350.

On the pommel horse, senior Austin Hodges emerged as the runner-up with a 14.700. He also won the parallel bars at 14.250.

Junior Rogelio Vazquez finished fifth on the rings with a 13.500, leading the team.

In the vault and all-around, senior Dylan Ellsworth topped the Hawkeyes with second- and third-place finishes.

The Iowa men will return to Chicago on Jan. 21 to face Illinois-Chicago.