Iowa's Tria Simmons competes in the Women's 60 Meter Hurdles during the Hawkeye Invitational indoor track meet at the Campus Recreation Building on Satuday, Jan. 13, 2017. Simmons finished third with the time of 8.77. The Hawkeyes opened up the season with over 11 titles for the day. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Track and field kicks off season at home

Iowa’s tracksters did not disappoint fans in their season-opener.

By Andrew Donlan

The Iowa track and field indoor season officially kicked off Jan. 13 with the Hawkeye Invitational in the Recreation Building. The meet featured tracksters from Iowa, Iowa Central Community College, Iowa State, and South Dakota.

The Iowa men and women came into the meet with top-35 United States Track and Field/Cross-Country Coaches Association preseason poll rankings — 32ndnd and 34thth, respectively.

Iowa’s freshmen did not hesitate a bit in their first competition. Aly Weum won the 400 meters with a time of 57.33, and Luke Sampson took the 3,000 meters at 8:27.88.

Sheridan Champe won the women’s 200 meters at 24.70 seconds, and Bradford Garron — another outstanding freshman — won the men’s at 21.74.

Iowa’s Jenny Kimbro took home first in the women’s 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.50 seconds, 0.05 seconds short of her personal best at the Big Ten Indoor Championships in 2017.

Former Hawkeye Aaron Mallett, now a pro, set a facility record in the same event with a time of 7.73 seconds.

Jalynn Roberts-Lewis won the women’s long jump, leaping 5.54 meters.

Nathan Mylenek blew out the field with a 4:10.8 mile, a Hawkeye Invitational meet record and personal best.

2017 All-American Lagi Tausaga moved into third in Iowa history in women’s shot put, winnng the event with a throw of 15 meters.

2017 pole-vault national champion Chris Nilsen of South Dakota put on a show for a captivated crowd as well, setting a track and meet record.

The Hawkeyes’ next meet will be the Larry Wieczorek Invitational on Jan. 19-20 in the Recreation Building.

Members of the South Dakota indoor track and field team warm up during the Hawkeye Invitational indoor track meet at the Campus Recreation Building on Satuday, Jan. 13, 2017. The Hawkeyes opened up the season with over 11 titles for the day. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Multiple athletes from different schools stand during the national anthem before the Hawkeye Invitational indoor track meet at the Campus Recreation Building on Satuday, Jan. 13, 2017. The Hawkeyes opened up the season with over 11 titles for the day. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Collegiate official and Nexus Fugitive Recovery private investigator Terry Thompson fires off the starting gun for the Women's 3000 Meter Run during the Hawkeye Invitational indoor track meet at the Campus Recreation Building on Satuday, Jan. 13, 2017. Thompson has been working as an official for NCAA for 42 years now. The Hawkeyes opened up the season with over 11 titles for the day. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Athletes in the finals for the Women's 60 Meter Dash prepare to leave the blocks during the Hawkeye Invitational indoor track meet at the Campus Recreation Building on Satuday, Jan. 13, 2017. The Hawkeyes opened up the season with over 11 titles for the day. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa State middle distance runners Larkin Chapman (left) and Gwynne Wright (right) finish first and second in the women's 1000 Meter Run during the Hawkeye Invitational indoor track meet at the Campus Recreation Building on Satuday, Jan. 13, 2017. The Hawkeyes opened up the season with over 11 titles for the day. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa freshman Tyree Sorrells adjusts his starting blocks before the Men's 200 Meter Dash during the Hawkeye Invitational indoor track meet at the Campus Recreation Building on Satuday, Jan. 13, 2017. Sorrells finished tenth overall with a time of 22.83. The Hawkeyes opened up the season with over 11 titles for the day. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa senior Jalynn Roberts-Lewis prepares to run the Women's 200 Meter Dash during the Hawkeye Invitational indoor track meet at the Campus Recreation Building on Satuday, Jan. 13, 2017. She finished seventh overall with a time of 26.12. The Hawkeyes opened up the season with over 11 titles for the day. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa Central sophomore Sierra Stucky catches her breath after finishing ninth in the Women's 3000 Meter run during the Hawkeye Invitational indoor track meet at the Campus Recreation Building on Satuday, Jan. 13, 2017. Stucky finished with a time of 10:51:01. The Hawkeyes opened up the season with over 11 titles for the day. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

South Dakota sophomore Chris Nilsen pumps up the crowd before he performs the Men's Pole Vault during the Hawkeye Invitational indoor track meet at the Campus Recreation Building on Satuday, Jan. 13, 2017. Nilsen finished first in the meet, reaching a new personal and facility record at 18' 1.25". Nilsen is the reining NCAA indoor champion for Men's Pole Vault. The Hawkeyes opened up the season with over 11 titles for the day. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

South Dakota senior Maddie Aune practices her pole vault during the Hawkeye Invitational indoor track meet at the Campus Recreation Building on Satuday, Jan. 13, 2017. Aune finished third in the Women's Pole Vault at 3.60 meters. The Hawkeyes opened up the season with over 11 titles for the day. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

South Dakota sophomore Makiah Hunt attempts a pole vault during the Hawkeye Invitational indoor track meet at the Campus Recreation Building on Satuday, Jan. 13, 2017.  Hunt finished second in the Women's Pole Vault at 3.90 meters. The Hawkeyes opened up the season with over 11 titles for the day. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Members of the Iowa and Iowa State men's track team run the Men's 1 Mile Run during the Hawkeye Invitational indoor track meet at the Campus Recreation Building on Satuday, Jan. 13, 2017. The Hawkeyes opened up the season with over 11 titles for the day. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

South Dakota's Zach Ranken prepares to run the Men's 600 Meter Run during the Hawkeye Invitational indoor track meet at the Campus Recreation Building on Satuday, Jan. 13, 2017. Renken finished third with the time of 1:27:02. The Hawkeyes opened up the season with over 11 titles for the day. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

South Dakota senior Shanice Cannigan prepares to run the first leg of the Women's 4x400 Meter Relay during the Hawkeye Invitational indoor track meet at the Campus Recreation Building on Satuday, Jan. 13, 2017. Cannigan's team South Dakota "A" finished third in the event. The Hawkeyes opened up the season with over 11 titles for the day. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa senior Sheridan Champe finishes first in the Women's 200 Meter Dash during the Hawkeye Invitational indoor track meet at the Campus Recreation Building on Satuday, Jan. 13, 2017. Champe finished with a time of 24.70. The Hawkeyes opened up the season with over 11 titles for the day. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Collegiate athletes from the Women's 600 Meter Run finish during the Hawkeye Invitational indoor track meet at the Campus Recreation Building on Satuday, Jan. 13, 2017. The Hawkeyes opened up the season with over 11 titles for the day. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Men's University Division Champions trophy from the Drake Relays is put on display during the Hawkeye Invitational indoor track meet at the Campus Recreation Building on Satuday, Jan. 13, 2017. The Hawkeyes opened up the season with over 11 titles for the day. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

South Dakota redshirt freshman Armand Khan catches his breath on the ground during the Hawkeye Invitational indoor track meet at the Campus Recreation Building on Satuday, Jan. 13, 2017. The Hawkeyes opened up the season with over 11 titles for the day. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)