James Daniels declares for NFL Draft

James Daniels joins fellow junior Josh Jackson and declares for the NFL Draft.

Iowa offensive linemen James Daniels gestures for the crowd to quiet down during an NCAA football game between Iowa and Illinois in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2017.  The Hawkeyes defeated the Fighting Illini, 45-16. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa offensive linemen James Daniels gestures for the crowd to quiet down during an NCAA football game between Iowa and Illinois in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Fighting Illini, 45-16. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Adam Hensley, [email protected]

James Daniels, Iowa’s starting center for the past two seasons, announced Jan. 5 via Instagram that he would forgo his final season of eligibility and declare for the NFL Draft.

Au revoir

A post shared by James Daniels (@jamsdans) on

Daniels, a 6-4, 295-pound lineman, proved to be a key force in Iowa’s traditionally strong rushing attack over the past two seasons, and NFL scouts took note.

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay ranked Daniels as the No. 2 center and the 35th-best prospect overall on his big board, while ESPN colleague Mel Kiper listed the junior as the third-best center.

Daniels’ departure leaves Iowa with question marks heading into the offseason; his name adds to the list of linemen not returning to the Hawkeye program. Sean Welsh, Boone Meyers, and Ike Boettger graduated, and 2017 was their final season with Iowa.

Daniels said in his Instagram post that he has only a few classes left to finish his degree.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor
Adam Hensley is the current Pregame Editor at the DI, covering football, men’s basketball, and baseball. Formerly the DI Sports Editor, Hensley has been on staff for all four years of his time at the University of Iowa, covering a wide range of sports, including cross-country, track and field, and women’s basketball. Comments comments
  • James Daniels declares for NFL Draft

Iowa vs. Wisconsin: A Battle for the West

• James Daniels declares for NFL Draft

A look back at the best of Kinnick Stadium under the lights

• James Daniels declares for NFL Draft

Hawkeye Nick Niemann embraces football family

• James Daniels declares for NFL Draft

On The Line – Week 4

• James Daniels declares for NFL Draft

One-on-one with Hawkeye center Keegan Render

• James Daniels declares for NFL Draft

College Football Week 4: A big game for Iowa

• James Daniels declares for NFL Draft

By the numbers: Wisconsin

• James Daniels declares for NFL Draft

Hawkeyes will try to avoid last year’s Wisconsin debacle

• James Daniels declares for NFL Draft

Urban Meyer returns, Big Ten looks forward

• James Daniels declares for NFL Draft

Point-Counterpoint: Who is Iowa football’s MVP through the nonconference schedule?