Jazz Fest spectators and local residents enjoy the fireworks at the Old Capital Building on Friday, June 30, 2017. (James Year/Daily Iowan)

Photos: The Daily Iowan Staff Picks 2017

The Daily Iowan’s selected photos of arts coverage in the State of Iowa throughout 2017.

A fan during an Afroman concert at Gabe's on Saturday, Jan. 28, 2017. The venue was sold out a week prior to the performance that featured Afroman alongside supporting acts with Semi Sixteenz, A$thmattic, Derek James, A-Wet$ & Jack Sueno, C Jones, and DJ Peer Pressure. (James Year/The Daily Iowan)

A Dabke Troupe performs a cultural dance at the Arab Formal in the IMU on Friday, April 28, 2017. The event was a fundraiser for Syrian Refugees. (James Year/The Daily Iowan)

Drag queens prepare for their performance at Studio 13 on Wednesday, June 14, 2017. Many of the Drag Queens  performed on multiple throughout Pride Week. (James Year/The Daily Iowan)

Drag Kings perform at Studio 13's IC Kings show on Thursday, June 15, 2017. After the show ended, many of the guests at the event continued celebrating Pride Week on the dance floor. (The Daily Iowan/James Year)

Charles Bradley sings during the 80/35 music festival in Des Moines on Friday July 7, 2017. This year is the tenth anniversary of the festival. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

Insane Clown Posse frontman Joseph Bruce, also known as Violent J, performs for a crowd of ecstatic Juggalos and concertgoers at the Blue Moose on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017. ICP is known for their unique live performances which spray hundreds of bottles of a soda called Faygo into the crowd. (James Year/The Daily Iowan)

Aaron Sharp, lead guitarist for Saint Motel, performs at the Homecoming concert inside the IMU on Saturday, Oct. 6, 2017. The concert was put on by Scope Productions following the Homecoming parade. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

A customer reacts to an actor at the Circle of Ash Scream Park in Central City, Iowa on Sunday, Oct. 22, 2017. (James Year/The Daily Iowan)

A fan crowd surfs at the Knocked Loose show at Blue Moose Taphouse on Oct. 22, 2017. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

Students from the University of Iowa Dance Department perform the dance ‘Interior Solitude’ as part of Dance Gala 2017 at Hancher Auditorium on Wednesday, Nov. 8, 2017. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

In this multiple exposure image, dancers perform in the Department of Dance’s collaborative performance, Point.0 at Space Place Theater on Wednesday, Nov. 29, 2017. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

Austin Wicke performs in a dress rehearsal for Fun Home at Mabie Theater on Wednesday, Nov. 29. Fun Home is a production based off of Alison Bechdel's graphic memoir of the same name which entails the story of a girl's relationship with her father, discussing topics on gender roles, sexuality, and interpersonal relationships. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Fiona Grey performs during a show at Yacht Club on Thursday, Nov. 30, 2017. 3 groups performed including Hep Cat, Lily DeTaeye, and Fiona Grey. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan’s selected photos of news coverage in the State of Iowa throughout 2017.

A person waves an American flag during a protest in Des Moines on Saturday, Jan. 21, 2017. According to organizers an estimated 26,000 people attended the march and rally at the state capitol building. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

Herky crowd surfs at the annual University of Iowa Dance Marathon at the IMU on Feb. 4, 2017. Dance Marathon raised over $2 million for kids. (James Year/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa City police respond to a "suspicious death" at 518 South Capitol Street in Iowa City on Sunday, April 23, 2017. According to the press release when officers arrived a deceased male subject was found. (Joseph Cress/Joseph Cress)

Iowa Republican Rep. Rod Blum speaks during an event in Johnson Hall on the Kirkwood main campus in Cedar Rapids on Tuesday, May 9, 2017. Blum fielded questions from constituents and crowd members. Earlier in the week Blum walked out of ABC affiliate KCRG-TV's interview prior to a town hall, sparking national headlines. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Trump supporters wait in line outside of a Donald Trump rally in Cedar Rapids on Wednesday, June 21, 2017. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

Students and faculty observe a solar eclipse in front of the University of Iowa College of Law on Monday, Aug. 21, 2017. Iowa City witnessed a partial eclipse with the moon covering 92 percent of the sun. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

Emergency first responders assist a victim of a shooting on the Iowa City Pedestrian Mall on Aug. 27, 2017. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Protestors line the streets, chanting pro-labor sentiments during a Labour Walkout event in Des Moines on Monday, Sept. 4, 2017. Organizations in support of laborers across Iowa such as Service Employees International Union, Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement, and Democratic Socialists of America participated in the rally. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Fans at Kinnick wave to the children and their families at the Stead Family Children's Hospital in Iowa City Saturday Sept. 23, 2017. (Paxton Corey/The Daily Iowan)

Bernie Sanders speaks at Hancher Auditorium on Thursday, Aug. 31, 2017. Sanders spoke at Hancher during a tour to promote his new book: Bernie Sanders Guide to Political Revolution. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

Survivors and allies hold hands during the UI Sister Vigil for Survivors of Campus Sexual Assault on the Pentacrest on Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2017. The event included letter writing to Iowa senators and the signing of thank you state of Iowa flags to senators fighting the withdrawal of Title IX protections for survivors of sexual assault. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Mazahir Salih celebrates with supporters and family members after election results were announced at the Mill in Iowa City on Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2017. Salih won an at large seat on the Iowa City city council along with incumbent Kingsley Botchway. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan’s selected photos of sports coverage in the State of Iowa throughout 2017.

Iowa center Megan Gustafson wins the opening tip over Colorado forward Makenzie Ellis during the Colorado vs. Iowa meeting in Iowa City at Carver Hawkeye on Thursday, March 23, 2017. The Hawkeyes went on to defeat the Buffaloes 80-62 in the third round of the Women's National Invitation Tournament. (Alex Kroeze/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa's Aaron Mallet waits on starting blocks during the 110-meter hurdles at Drake Stadium during the Drake Relays on Saturday, April 29, 2017. Mallet won with a time of, 13.47. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Two wrestlers compete during a Zeke's Night Out event at Gabe's on Sept. 15, 2017. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

UNI's Sammey Bunch gets tagged out at second during a NCAA softball Big Four Classic tournament game at Pearl Field in Coralville on Friday, Sept. 29, 2017. The Panthers defeated the Hawkeyes, 3-0. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Aralee Bogar loses ball to catcher at Pearl Field Softball Complex on Sunday, Oct. 1, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Drake Bulldogs 6-5. (Ashley Morris/The Daily Iowan)

Swimmers leap off the starting blocks during a swim meet between Iowa and Michigan State inside the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center Natatorium on Thursday, Sept. 8, 2017. The Hawkeyes opened their 100th season of swim and dive. (Shivansh Ahuja/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa cornerback Josh Jackson makes a jumping one handed interception during Iowa's game against Ohio State at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017. Jackson made three interceptions on the day as the Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes 55 to 24. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer talks on the sideline during the Iowa/Ohio State football game in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes in a storming fashion, 55-24. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

A Wisconsin fan celebrates during Iowa's game against Wisconsin at Camp Randall Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 11, 2017. The badgers defeated the Hawkeyes 38-14. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

Swimmers compete during the USA Swimming West Junior Nationals on Saturday Dec. 9, 2017. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa's Kevin Ward (26) holds up the New Era Pinstripe Bowl trophy after the Hawkeyes beat Boston College in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium in New York on Wednesday, Dec. 27. The Hawkeyes went on to win 27-20. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Creland - Charles' Wout Van Aert from Belgium bunnyhops an obstacle during the UCI Telenet Men's World Cup cyclocross race at Jinglecross on the Johnson County fairgrounds on Sunday, Sept. 17, 2017. Sunday began with a kids events, a speedo race and a dog race followed by the women's and men's UCI world cup races. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

A wrestler celebrates his victory during the 2017 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships in the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Missouri on Friday, March 17, 2017. Day two of the National Championships shrinks the number of competitors down to the final competition for the Championship match on Saturday. (Anthony Vazquez/The Daily Iowan)