Kid Captain overcomes obstacles, remains ‘a trouper’

The Kid Captain for the Pinstripe Bowl has overcome many obstacles and remains strong.

Contributed
Contributed

Contributed

Contributed

Charles Peckman, [email protected]

During Jessi Fasse’s 20-week ultrasound, a facial development abnormality was found in the fetus. The next day, Fasse learned her child, Hunter, would be born with a cleft lip and palate.

Fasse and husband Tom were referred to the University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital, where Hunter was born in February 2007; that July, he underwent his first surgery.

In 2013, Hunter went through jaw-reconstruction surgery using bone from his hip. He has also gone through speech therapy, and Jessi said he is almost ready for his first set of braces.

“After the jaw-reconstruction surgery, Hunter was on a fluids-only diet,” Jessi said. “He’s had a lot of dietary restrictions after his surgeries and has been strong through the process.”

RELATED: Kid Captain lives with help from ‘Kidney Grandma’

Hunter has also participated in research studies, with scientists hoping to help others born with cleft lips and palates.

Despite the obstacles, Hunter, now 10, triumphantly stormed the field of Kinnick Stadium during this year’s Homecoming game as an honorary Kid Captain.

The Kid Captain program, which started in 2009 between the Children’s Hospital and the Hawkeyes, honors pediatric patients and their families and celebrates their inspirational and heart-warming stories.

“It was really cool to look down at the field,” Hunter said. “You get to help the players and hold their hands; I talked to Josey Jewell!”

Fasse said Hunter didn’t know too many players before being selected as a Kid Captain, but Jewell is now among his favorites.

“Every year, the hospital asks for nominations for [Kid Captain],” Jessi said. “I put Hunter’s name in and got a certificate in the mail, and I tried again this year. I was overjoyed when he was selected to be the postseason Kid Captain.”

Hunter “has been a trouper,” she said, and he has overcome a lot to get where he is today. She is grateful for the Children’s Hospital and the Hawkeyes and all they do for patients and families.

“It’s amazing what the team does,” Jessi said. “There are a lot of children who have a lot of serious conditions, and [the Kid Captain program] gives them a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

RELATED: Kid Captain faces tough odds

Kid Captains and their families, along with other patients in the Children’s Hospital, get to watch Hawkeye games in Kinnick from a bird’s-eye view. Hunter said he enjoyed watching the action from above Kinnick.

“It was really cool,” he said. “I have a lot of friends [from the Kid Captain program,] and everyone gets to watch the game.”

Jessi said they will watch the Hawkeyes take on Boston College on Dec. 27, and they are excited about the game. More important, than the game’s outcome, however, is Hunter’s continued health, she said.

Charles Peckman, News Reporter
Email: [email protected] Twitter: @charlespeckman Currently, Charles is a digital producer and news reporter. Previously, Charles has served as the news editor, general assignment reporter, and sustainability reporter. Charles is working towards a bachelor’s in journalism/mass communication, a certificate in entrepreneurial management, and a minor in German. Comments comments
  • Kid Captain overcomes obstacles, remains ‘a trouper’

From Iowa to Israel: The search for my Jewish identity

Mayflower operates at 60% capacity to give returners on-campus living space

UI cystic-fibrosis research team awarded $11.5 million grant

UI students petition for birth control

UI faculty promoting healthier habits to reduce Iowa’s high obesity rate

New Iowa City animal services coordinator named

UIHC Stead Youth Advisory Council celebrates 20 years of making care better

Fourth Magnet designation for excellence granted to UI nursing program

Cedar Rapids man accused of eluding officers after going 107 mph on highway

Blotter: Sept. 24