UI professor reportedly misused funds, state audit reveals

The UI has requested the state investigate a UI professor for alleged unauthorized expenses.

Vladimir Kulikov

Vladimir Kulikov

Marissa Payne, [email protected]

Officials suspect a University of Iowa professor is believed to have misused his procurement card to cover unauthorized expenses amounting to nearly $100,000, an audit revealed on Dec. 21.

After identifying suspected unauthorized transactions in its annual review of expense reimbursements in November 2016, the UI requested that the state auditor investigate Michael Flatté, a professor and the former director of the Optical Science Technology Center in the UI of Physics/ Astronomy Department for the period of July 1, 2001, through April 30, 2017.

Without authorization from the UI, Flatté listed the university as a conference sponsor on three separate occasions and collected registration fees through a private company he owns, according to a UI press release. The audit found the university reimbursed Flatté $47,203.81 for those conference expenses.

Additionally, according to the release, Flatté used $44,161.69 in registration fees used to administer the conference that the UI says “would have been deposited in university accounts had the conferences been approved.” Almost all revenues were used to cover conference expenses and the balance was deposited with the UI, according to the release.

RELATED: State audit reports improper purchases by former staff member

Flatté also reportedly purchased three robots for $8,440.17, which the state auditor raised concerns about. The auditor also concluded it was not possible to determine whether additional amounts were improperly disbursed “because adequate documentation was not available for all transactions,” according to the audit report released Dec. 21.

The professor remains listed as a faculty member on the UI’s website.

“The university has taken appropriate action to protect the interests of the university and is reviewing possible disciplinary measures,” the UI release said. “Individual personnel actions are considered confidential matters.”

The state auditor recommended that future actions include disclosures of conflicts of interest, adjustments to expense-reimbursement procedures, and measures to ensure compliance with UI policies.

Travel and procurement policies are outlined in the university’s Operations Manual, and highly trained staff review purchases, according to the UI release.

“The University of Iowa takes seriously its fiduciary responsibility to spend taxpayer and research dollars wisely and has several procedures in place to ensure this happens,” UI officials said in the release.

Marissa Payne, Managing Editor
Email: [email protected] Twitter: @marissa42_ Marissa Payne is the Managing Editor of The Daily Iowan. She started working at the DI her freshman year as a news reporter covering the UI administration and Iowa Board of Regents, and also as a page designer. Additionally, she has served as News Editor and Digital Editor. During her sophomore year,...
  • UI professor reportedly misused funds, state audit reveals

Lawsuit against University of Iowa presidential search committee settled

University of Iowa enrollment down after intentional growth management

Higher Education

Jim Lindenmayer assumes position on state Board of Regents

Higher Education

Iowa Board of Regents to unveil new multi-year tuition model in November

Iowa regents OK proposal for UI’s new innovation center

Tippie to start a complete online professional MBA program

Board of Regents discusses UIHC audit, comments on Modern Piping allegations

Higher Education

Board of Regents reviews transfer of land to UI

Board of Regents considers department closures and additions

‘There’s no joy’ in closing centers, Provost Curry tells Iowa Board of Regents