Zuckerman to explore global ties with China as Schwarzman Scholar

Former UISG President Rachel Zuckerman will head to China for a year as a Schwarzman Scholar.

UISG President Rachel Zuckerman speaks to UISG senators during Hawkeye Caucus at the State Capitol building in Des Moines on Tuesday, Apr. 4, 2017. Hawkeye Caucus is a day to showcase the accomplishments of the University of Iowa community. (The Daily Iowan/Ben Smith)

Marissa Payne, [email protected]

A University of Iowa alumna will soon head to China on a prestigious scholarship.

UI graduate Rachel Zuckerman, the 2016-17 University of Iowa Student Government president, has been selected as one of 142 Schwarzman Scholars for 2019. As part of the program, Zuckerman will spend a year in China pursuing a master’s degree at Tsinghua University in Beijing.

Zuckerman attributed much of her ability to be competitive for the opportunity to the experiences she had as a student leader.

“I think I was chosen for the Schwarzman because of my experiences and leadership as an undergraduate and the accomplishments that we had,” she said. “… The chance to represent the University of Iowa as the first Schwarzman Scholar is such an honor, and I’m hopeful that I can give one ounce back to the community that it gave me.”

University Counseling Service Director Barry Schreier wrote one of Zuckerman’s recommendation letters for the program’s application. He said Zuckerman found creative ways to change the culture on issues she addressed, acknowledging in particular her proposal to the state Board of Regents for a $12.50 mental-health fee to fund the hiring of eight new counselors.

RELATED: Looking back, looking ahead

Zuckerman is only in her seventh month as a college graduate, but Schreier said he is glad to see she has continued to create opportunities for herself beyond her success as a student leader. He believes her emotional intelligence and ability to maintain relationships with others will serve her well in China.

“… She has not struggled at all with leaving campus because she then immediately went out and decided she would start pursuing these scholarships,” he said. “I’m really glad that she is going to take all of the things she did so well here and continue doing them elsewhere.”

Lauren Freeman, a UI graduate who served with Zuckerman as the 2016-17 UISG vice president, said Zuckerman is vocal on issues facing students and brought a vision to UISG to focus the organization on listening to students’ needs.

“In working together, that allowed me to see just how incredibly poised of a leader she is while also being able to reach out to groups across campus and work with them to accomplish our goals,” Freeman said.

RELATED: UISG thinks strategically

UI President Bruce Harreld said in an announcement he is proud of Zuckerman’s achievements and advocacy on campus that have led to this recognition.

“… Having worked with Rachel directly, I saw firsthand how effectively she puts her passion for improving people’s lives to work for those in need,” Harreld said in a statement. “Through her Schwarzman experience, I have no doubt that Rachel will continue to improve people’s lives across the globe and strengthen international ties.”

Zuckerman, a Michigan native, said the months since graduation have affirmed her long-term goal of working in the public sector improving the city of Detroit. She looks forward to being exposed to opportunities to engage with international leaders in a country such as China, given its dominance in global affairs.

As she said she aimed to do as UISG president, Zuckerman hopes the experience in China equips her with the tools to advocate for those who haven’t been granted the opportunities she has been given.

Marissa Payne, Managing Editor
Email: [email protected] Twitter: @marissa42_ Marissa Payne is the Managing Editor of The Daily Iowan. She started working at the DI her freshman year as a news reporter covering the UI administration and Iowa Board of Regents, and also as a page designer. Additionally, she has served as News Editor and Digital Editor. During her sophomore year,...
  • Zuckerman to explore global ties with China as Schwarzman Scholar

DITV: New year, new school, new home: Freshmen are all moved in on campus

Recent data shows high-risk drinking more common in UI community

UI considers on-campus living requirement for sophomores

DITV: UI Class of 2022 kicks it off at Kinnick

On Iowa 2018 embraces new Hawkeyes

UIHC recognized as top treatment center for Parkinson’s Disease

Grant expands UI winter course on India water poverty

UI Water Plant to target nitrate with reverse osmosis

Former UI staffer used university money to make personal purchases

Labs from UI, Texas share credit for simultaneous genetic discovery