Swimmers warm up before a swim meet between Iowa and Michigan State inside the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center Natatorium on Thursday, September 8, 2017. The Hawkeyes opened their 100th season of swim and dive. (Shivansh Ahuja/The Daily Iowan)

Diver takes success to USA meet

The Hawkeyes have a presence at the USA winter diving meet.

By Anna Kayser
anna-kayser@uiowa.edu

Iowa junior Will Brenner competed in the senior 1-meter springboard competition at the USA Diving Winter National Championships on Wednesday.

Brenner placed No. 19 with a score of 243.85 in the 23-man preliminary round.

As a junior, he holds the Iowa school record on the 1-meter springboard with a 368.00, breaking his own previous record.

Last season, Brenner received the Wentworth “Lobbey” Lobdell Award, given to the top male diver after recording his school-best 1-meter score. In that season, he also posted NCAA Zone Diving standards on the 1-meter and the 3-meter.

RELATED: Diving championships bring unique opportunity for two Hawkeyes 

At the NCAA Zones meet, Brenner placed 20th on the 1-meter with a score of 292.75. At the Big Ten Championships, he posted a 361.15 on the 1-meter, good for 10th overall.

During Brenner’s freshman year, he broke the 1-meter school score for the first time with a score of 365.00. He placed 16th on the platform at Zones and 11th on the 1-meter at the Big Ten Championships. In total, recorded four 1-meter titles for the season.

Freshman Anton Hoherz will continue to represent Iowa at the USA Diving Winter National Championships on the platform later this week.