Jewell, Jackson named consensus all-Americans

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Iowa cornerback Josh Jackson attempts to intercept a pass during the Iowa/Nebraska football game in Memorial Stadium on Friday, Nov. 24, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cornhuskers, 56-14. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Monday was a big day for Iowa football defensive duo Josey Jewell and Josh Jackson.

The two headed into the weekend with the Walter Camp All-America honors and added two more Monday afternoon to become Iowa’s 24th and 25th consensus All-Americans.

Officials announced that Jewell and Jackson had been selected for both the Associated Press and the Football Writers of America All-American teams. The two are in elite ranks of 13 other NCAA football players this season who were awarded all three All-America honors. Among those is Heisman winner Baker Mayfield, as well as Heisman runner-up Bryce Love.

The two Hawkeyes definitely deserved the honors — Jewell led the Big Ten and was No. 4 nationally with 125 total tackles, even after missing an entire game. Jackson led the league in pass breakups (18), interceptions (7), and passes defended per game (2.1).

Jewell was recently given the Lott IMPACT Trophy, honoring the nation’s top defensive player “for character and performance,” while Jackson spent some time last week in Atlanta, where he was one of three finalists for the Jim Thorpe Award for best defensive back.

This season is just the fifth time in program history that two players earned consensus All-American honors. The last time was in 2003 when Robert Gallery and Nate Kaeding were Hawkeyes. Before that, Eric Steinbach and Dallas Clark (2002), Chuck Long and Larry Station (1985), and Andre Tippett and Reggie Roby (1981).

In addition to the three big All-America honors that earned them consensus status, Jewell and Jackson were both named to the first team All-America teams by Sports Illustrated, USA Today, and College Football News.

— Courtney Baumann