Tracksters shine in intrasquad

Iowa’s Briana Guillory participates in the 600 meters during the annual Black and Gold Intrasquad Meet in the Recreation Building on Dec. 9. Guillory finished first with a time of 1:30:01. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Black and Gold Intrasquad gave Hawkeye track and field fans a preview for what’s ahead this season.

By Andrew Donlan

The Recreation Center was host to a substantial crowd and an exciting energy on Dec. 9, as members of the Iowa track and field team raced against each other in the Black and Gold Intrasquad Meet.

Although the times don’t count officially, a slew of personal records were set at the friendly event. The meet served as a preview for the fans of the talent on the team for the upcoming indoor season.

“We’ve been training at a real high level, but it’s different when you put the uniform on and hear the gun,” Iowa Director of Track and Field Joey Woody said. “That’s what it’s all about, coming out here and competing against each other at a high level.”

The meet consisted of 11 competitions: pole vault, long jump, high jump, shot put, 60-meter hurdles, 60 meter, 600 meters, 1,000 meters, 300 meters, mile, and 4×400 relay.

“The intrasquad is always good for seeing where you are compared with your teammates,” sophomore Tia Saunders said. “It’s also just a really good time and atmosphere, because we’re all here together working toward the same goal.”

The hurdles kicked off the meet, with junior Chris Douglas claiming the best time for the men at 7.86 seconds, just shy of his personal best of 7.82 and a great start to the season.

On the women’s side, sophomore Jenny Kimbro matched a personal best at 8.45 seconds.

In the women’s 60 meters, junior Taylor Chapman won with two-consecutive postings of 7.62 seconds. Senior O’Shea Wilson took home the final for the men’s with a time of 6.87 seconds.

Senior Sheridan Champe set a personal best of 7.61 seconds in the women’s 60 qualifier and then later won the 300 meters with a time of 38.66 seconds.

“[Champe] could be an X-factor,” Woody said. “When she’s feeling healthy, she’s one of the best athletes we have on the team.”

Taylor Arco beat her career best by five seconds with a time of 1:35.90 in the women’s 600 meters, but she fell to Brianna Guillory in the final, who ran a 1:30.01.

In the women’s 1,000 meters, Saunders shattered her previous personal best by nine seconds, running a 2:55.88.

“At the beginning of the track season, it’s always exciting to get back out there,” Saunders said. “My goals today were to win my race and finish in the 2:50s, and they both ended up happening.”

All-American Mar’yea Harris made things look easy. He set a men’s intrasquad record in the 300 meters at 32.96 seconds.

“My body feels good,” Harris said. “And I have a lot of goals set for both the indoor and outdoor seasons.”

Freshman Tyree Sorrells also intrigued fans with an impressive 6.87-second time in the men’s 60 meters qualifier and a first-place finish in the long jump with a mark of 6.74 meters.

The team now faces the challenge of staying in shape over the holidays. Its first official competition of the indoor season will be the Hawkeye Invitational on Jan. 13.