Iowa swimming improves times, but drops invitational

Peter Kim
Iowa swimmer Kenneth Mende swims at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center on Saturday, Dec 5, 2015. (The Daily Iowan/Peter Kim)

Many Hawkeyes recorded best times at the Minnesota Jean Freeman Invitational.

By Anna Kayser

The Iowa men’s and women’s swimming teams both fell to Minnesota this past weekend at the Minnesota Jean Freeman Invitational, but numerous swimmers highlighted the events by posting record-breaking times.

On Dec. 2, both teams closed out strong.

In the men’s 200 backstroke, Kenneth Mende (1:44.02) and Thomas Rathbun (1:45.68) finished first and second, both with NCAA “B” qualifying times.

In the men’s 100 free, Jack Smith finished second with a NCAA “B” qualifying time of 43.93. Joe Myhre followed in third place with 44.39. Both Smith and Myhre’s times were season-bests.

Michael Tenney continued the men’s success with a winning career-best 200 fly time of 1:47.49.

RELATED: Swimming wraps up first day in Minnesota

Myhre and Smith, along with Mical Brzuz and Will Scott, posted another season-best time in the 400-free relay, finishing in 2:54.35.

The women’s competition was highlighted by Hannah Burvill’s third-place finish in the 100 free. She posted a time of 49.10, breaking the school record and bettering her preliminary time of 49.19.

In the women’s 200 backstroke, Meghan Lavelle finished third with a season-best NCAA “B” qualifying time of 1:57.90.  

Shea Hoyt recorded yet another season-best time, finishing fifth in the 200-breaststroke in 2:16.16.

Burvill, Alyssa Fluit, Mekenna Scheitlin, and Carly O’Brien finished off the meet for the women with a second-place, season-best time of 3:20.31 in the 400 free.

On Dec. 1, 11 Iowa swimmers posted NCAA “B” standard qualifying times in 12 events. There were 14 career-best times between both the men and the women. The Hawkeyes started off the invitational on Nov. 30, posting 20 career bests.

The Iowa women will return to action on Friday against Iowa State in Ames.