Arrest warrant out for Iowa City man for armed robbery near Rienow

Robert Walker (Johnson County Sheriff)

Authorities have issued a warrant for the arrest of an Iowa City man on a robbery charge and a burglary charge in connection with two different incidents. The robbery prompted a Hawk Alert on the University of Iowa campus on Sept. 29.

Robert Walker, 18, 2964 Heinz Road, is suspected of committing first-degree robbery on Sept. 29 north of Rienow and attempted second-degree burglary on Oct. 12.

According to the affidavit, Walker and another person shined laser pointers at the two victims and approached them as they walked toward Hillcrest, near Lot 13, on Sept. 29. Walker and the other suspect wanted the victims’ cellphones, the affidavit said, but the victims said no.

One victim had nothing stolen, the affidavit said, but the other had cash and everything in his wallet taken.

Both victims also had their lives threatened, the affidavit said, and the other suspect pointed a gun at one victim. Both suspects wore hoods over their heads during the incident, the affidavit said.

Some of the robbery was recorded on security footage, the affidavit said.

On Oct. 12, the affidavit said, Walker and another suspect were spotted at a victim’s residence, knocking on the door with no answer. After a while, the affidavit said, Walker tried to kick down the front door.

The victim was inside the home, the affidavit said, and when the victim turned on the lights, Walker and the other suspect left.

Officers later discovered Walker or the other suspect had cut a window screen out and tried to push in the window, the affidavit said.

First-degree robbery is a Class-B felony and attempted second-degree burglary is a Class-D felony.

— Kayli Reese