Holiday Thieves’ Market wrapped up by UI Fine Arts Council

Contributed
Contributed

The annual Holiday Thieves’ Market will take place this weekend, with Midwestern artists speaking of their experience with the event.

By Sarah Stortz

Holiday shopping is being made easier for students with a market in the IMU.

On Saturday and Sunday, the University of Iowa Fine Arts Council will host its annual Holiday Thieves’ Market for area artists to both visit and showcase their work, tied together with a festive theme. Patrons will be able to browse through their collection and buy artwork as well.

UI senior Annalise Castro, the director of marketing for the Fine Arts Council, was responsible for assembling the event, along with the rest of the committee. This included booking the IMU and selecting an appropriate date.

“We are all student employees, so we start working at the beginning of each semester toward the big events that are held at the end of the semester,” Castro wrote to an e-mail to The Daily Iowan. “As far as choosing dates for our shows to take place, and placing reservations at the IMU, where our shows are historically held, that kind of planning occurs three years in advance.”

The Fine Arts Council has collaborated with several different organizations to help the market become more engaging, such as Dance Marathon, Campus Activities Board, and the Downtown District.

“The partnering organizations work together to make sure there is something for everyone,” Castro said. “We sponsor the art market along with the wine and craft-beer tasting and an emerging student art display. [Dance Marathon] sponsors a festival of wreaths and silent auction. [Campus Activities Board] provides children’s art activities. And the Downtown District offers a shopping shuttle that transports patrons from our show at the IMU to the Ped Mall area, where local shops offer special sales.”

RELATED: Downtown district brings holiday cheer with holiday market pop-up

This year, there will be more than 100 artists featured, ranging in several media such as painting, drawing, photography, and metal.

Fairfield resident Doug Adams, who specializes in mixed media and is one of the artists planning to sell his work this weekend, enjoys the venus.

“I look forward to this show all year because the community of Iowa City is one that appreciates creativity,” he said. “My intention in creating art is to have a collaboration with nature. The Thieves’ Market is a show where I can share the awe and appreciation that I experience when I discover a unique and beautiful figure in wood, stone, or wire.”

Vahan Bedeian, a jewelry maker whose studio is located in Bluegrass, Iowa, has displayed his artwork at the IMU for the past 40 years.

“I’ve been coming here a long time, and I’ve made a lot of friends,” Bedeian said. “It’s nice to see all of my fellow artisans. I have a nice customer following. I’ve seen their children grow up, and I’ve seen them buy our jewelry as well.”

Bob Anderson, a featured pottery maker from Kalona, sees great value in students attending the art fair.

“When we get the chance to be in an art fair, you have a chance to really talk to the artist,” he said. “You get a different feeling about the product. It’s not just something you buy online. You actually have a chance to be personally involved with the piece.”

Castro looks forward to a huge turnout.

“As the marketing director, it’s really incredible to see all of our hard work pay off when we host between 5,000 to 6,000 patrons over the duration of the whole weekend,” she said. “But as a show organizer and artist myself, there’s nothing better than getting to interact with our wonderful art vendors and talking to them about their art practice.”

Holiday Thieves’ Market

When: 8 a.m. Saturday

Where: IMU

Cost: Free