UI United Nations Association writes to congressional representatives

The UI chapter of the Iowa U.N. Association held its first letter campaign on Monday.

Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, answers questions at a Town Hall meeting in the Iowa Memorial Union on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. The crowd was filled with energetic and concerned voters from all political affiliations.  (James Year/The Daily Iowan)

Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, answers questions at a Town Hall meeting in the Iowa Memorial Union on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. The crowd was filled with energetic and concerned voters from all political affiliations. (James Year/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by James

The Daily Iowan; Photos by James

Brooklyn Draisey, [email protected]

Some constituents have had enough.

The University of Iowa chapter of the Iowa U.N. Association is striving to get its voice heard in Congress.

The association held its first letter campaign on Monday to give students the opportunity to tell congressional representatives what their constituents care about.

The focus of this campaign was the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals and why the United States should continue to support them.

The core members of the UI group and one student decided to write one letter as a whole, and they will send it to Sens. Chuck Grassley and Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, and Reps. Rod Blum, David Young, and Steve King, R-Iowa.

The organization will also send a thank-you letter to Rep. David Loebsack, D-Iowa, for his support of the U.N.

“Sending a thank-you letter to someone for supporting something you support makes a huge difference … I’m sure they get a lot of angry letters, and it’s nice to send a good one,” UI freshman Maya Simon said.

There are 16 goals that countries around the globe have adopted, which include climate action, reduced inequality, and zero hunger. The goals were adopted on Sept. 25, 2015.

Each goal has specific criteria, such as preventing and reducing marine pollution of all kinds, and the U.N. plans to meet all of the criteria by 2030.

In the UI group’s letter, some of the main points involved gender equality, education, and climate action, and participants in the event wanted to write about how each goal was important to them.

RELATED: Cards give voice to local concerns

Chapter President Alexa Sandon said they decided to use these global goals as prompts for their letter because they efficiently encompass everything both the U.N. and the UI association care about.

“There are so many things that the U.N. is involved in, so [the goals] are just a really good summary statement for what they’re trying to do,” Sandon said.

Simon learned about the meeting through an email and attended to let her voice be heard about the issues she cares about, primarily climate change. After the United States pulled out of the Paris Agreement, a U.N. agreement dealing with greenhouse-gas-emission mitigation, adaptation, and finance starting in the year 2020, both Simon and the UI association want to ensure that the U.S. government still tries to make the country a better place.

“I’ve become very passionate about environmental issues, so I wanted to have more of a role in that,” she said.

The organization members also wrote about the work they have done in Johnson County, such as working with refugees and other events they’ve held.

Sandon noted that a physical letter would make a difference in the amount of attention it gets, because emails can easily be lost in the pile.

“I think the time and involvement a written letter has makes it different, because people get thousands of emails every day, but having a physical object to hold in front of you can definitely make a difference,” she said.

The most important goal of this letter is to get the public’s voice heard, co-leader for social media and outreach Ariana Nikic said.

Brooklyn Draisey, News Editor
Brooklyn Draisey is one of the News Editors of the DI. She started out at the DI her freshmen year as a News Reporter, where she wrote about a variety of topics. Comments comments
  • UI United Nations Association writes to congressional representatives

UI Student Security kicks off third year of operations

Fulbright Scholar studies water quality in Romania

New program through UI center seeks to end farming-related accidents

Hawkeye Service Teams hopes to modify Alternative Spring Break

UI Counseling Service’s Old Capitol Mall location becomes increasingly popular

Students now required to apply for UI Honors program

University of Iowa no longer a top-20 party school

Nite Ride releases new app to help reduce waiting times

Twin UI sophomores double as YouTube celebrities

Office of Sustainability manages new director, integration into CLAS