Numbers show Iowa’s dominance over Nebraska

The Hawkeyes were unstoppable in all aspects when they played Nebraska.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Iowa tight end Noah Fant runs along the sideline towards the end zone during the Iowa/Nebraska football game in Memorial Stadium on Friday, Nov. 24, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cornhuskers, 56-14. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa might have had déjà vu on Nov. 24 when it smacked Nebraska, 56-14. The big win came a year after the Hawkeyes beat the Cornhuskers, 40-10, in last season’s Black Friday matchup.

After being tied at 14 at halftime in Lincoln, Iowa broke away in the second half, scoring 42 unanswered points and putting up more than 500 yards of total offense, the most it has put up all season.

Akrum Wadley led the way with 3 rushing touchdowns, and Nate Stanley added 2 touchdowns through the air to Noah Fant.

The defense also had an incredible game, keeping Nebraska scoreless in the second half and forcing 3 turnovers — all picks thrown by Husker quarterback Tanner Lee.

It was just the game the Hawkeyes needed following two disappointing showings against Wisconsin and Purdue, and it came at the perfect time, as bowl season rapidly approaches.

Yards per rush: 6.7

The Hawkeyes absolutely dominated on the ground and in the trenches on their way to picking up 313 yards rushing. The 6.7 yards per carry Iowa picked up is the biggest number it recorded all season.

Along with his 3 touchdowns, Wadley led the way in total yards with 159 on just 19 carries, for an average of 8.4 yards a carry.

James Butler also played well, picking up 36 yards and a touchdown, and Ivory Kelly-Martin got a chance to show what he could do toward the end of the game and took advantage of it. The true freshman carried the ball 6 times and racked up 90 yards and a touchdown, including a 57-yard scamper in the fourth quarter.

Toren Young also got in on the action, scoring a touchdown late in the game.

That makes for 6 rushing touchdowns and a day that was astronomically better than some previous games such as Michigan State, in which Iowa averaged 0.8 yards a carry.

Rushing yards allowed: 67

The Hawkeyes improved significantly in their run defense in Lincoln.

On the season, Iowa has allowed 142.1 yards on the ground per game, good for eighth in the Big Ten.

Nebraka’s leading rusher, Devine Ozigbo, was held to just 13 yards on 3 carries, although he was dealing with an ankle injury throughout the week. Second-leading rusher Mikale Wilbon had only 39 yards on the ground, though.

In addition to stopping the ground attack, the Hawkeye defense kept the Huskers from getting anything going in the passing game. The 3 picks put Iowa at second in the country with 19 interceptions.

Fant average yards per catch: 38.7

The tight end from Omaha had himself a big game against his home-state team, catching three passes for 116 yards and 2 touchdowns.

The touchdowns added to Fant’s school record for touchdown receptions by a tight end in a season, which is now up to 10.

Fant has been a red-zone threat all season, and he was again against the Huskers, catching a 4-yard touchdown right before the half.