V-ball records a win in weekend competition

The Hawkeyes beat Ohio State but lost to Maryland over the weekend to start the final road trip of the season.

Iowa's Brie Orr (7) celebrates a point won during the match between Iowa and Penn State at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Wednesday, Nov. 8, 2017. The Hawkeyes lost to the Nittany Lions 3-0. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Ben S

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Ben S

Anna Kayser, [email protected]

The Iowa volleyball team split matches against Maryland and Ohio State over this past weekend.

On Nov. 18, Iowa swept Ohio State in a close match for the second time this season.

The first and second sets were tight, featuring 33 ties and 13 lead changes. Down 18-17 in the first set, senior middle-blocker Jess Janota sparked three-straight Hawkeye points, giving Iowa a 20-18 lead. The Hawkeyes went on to win, 25-23.

In the second set, Iowa was down, 23-22, before a kill by junior right-side hitter Reghan Coyle tied the set. A big block by junior outside hitter Taylor Louis and Janota gave Iowa the lead and eventually the 25-23 win.

The Hawkeyes started off strong and never trailed in the third set, leading by as much as 9 points on their way to a 25-18 win, securing the 3-0 match victory.

Janota, an Ohio native, recorded 12 kills with a .579 attack percentage and 7 blocks.

On Nov. 17, Iowa lost to Maryland, 3-1.

In the first set, Maryland jumped out to an early lead and never looked back. Iowa went on a 7-3 run to bring the set within 2 points, but Maryland secured the victory, 25-21.

With the Hawkeyes down, 11-8, in the second set, they used a 5-2 run to tie up the score at 13. At 17-17, the Terrapins scored three-straight points and went on to win the set, 25-19, for a 2-0 set advantage.

Maryland was up, 23-19, in the third set before a 7-1 Iowa run turned the tables, giving Iowa the set, 26-24.

After the third-set comeback, Iowa recorded only 5 kills in the fourth set and lost the match. 3-1.

“To get into the fourth set and only have 5 kills, that’s not acceptable,” head coach Bond Shymansky said in a release. “On the road, you really have to bring everything you have. We needed to fight with more determination.”

Anna Kayser, Assistant Sports Editor
Anna Kayser is currently the Assistant Sports Editor and a football reporter at the DI. She began her college career as a news reporter before moving to the Politics team with a focus on the work of Sen. Chuck Grassley. In her sophomore year, she spent both semesters as a sports beat reporter covering Hawkeye...
  • V-ball records a win in weekend competition

Iowa football’s road to the Big Ten championship is a long one

Point-Counterpoint: Who will win the Big Ten West?

Baseball

Iowa baseball moves on following departures

Soccer

By the Numbers: Iowa soccer’s defense

Former Hawkeye C.J. Beathard takes over for 49ers

Hensley: The Big Ten West is Wisconsin’s to lose now

Hornibrook’s big day against Hawkeye football comes at a big time

Report card: How did Iowa football look against Wisconsin?

Men's tennis

Hawkeyes fight at Milwaukee Tennis Classic

Soccer

Iowa soccer tops Indiana for first Big Ten win