Iowa's Brie Orr (7) celebrates a point won during the match between Iowa and Penn State at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Wednesday, Nov. 8, 2017. The Hawkeyes lost to the Nittany Lions 3-0. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

V-ball records a win in weekend competition

The Hawkeyes beat Ohio State but lost to Maryland over the weekend to start the final road trip of the season.

By Anna Kayser

Anna-kayser@uiowa.edu

The Iowa volleyball team split matches against Maryland and Ohio State over this past weekend.

On Nov. 18, Iowa swept Ohio State in a close match for the second time this season.

The first and second sets were tight, featuring 33 ties and 13 lead changes. Down 18-17 in the first set, senior middle-blocker Jess Janota sparked three-straight Hawkeye points, giving Iowa a 20-18 lead. The Hawkeyes went on to win, 25-23.

In the second set, Iowa was down, 23-22, before a kill by junior right-side hitter Reghan Coyle tied the set. A big block by junior outside hitter Taylor Louis and Janota gave Iowa the lead and eventually the 25-23 win.

The Hawkeyes started off strong and never trailed in the third set, leading by as much as 9 points on their way to a 25-18 win, securing the 3-0 match victory.

Janota, an Ohio native, recorded 12 kills with a .579 attack percentage and 7 blocks.

On Nov. 17, Iowa lost to Maryland, 3-1.

In the first set, Maryland jumped out to an early lead and never looked back. Iowa went on a 7-3 run to bring the set within 2 points, but Maryland secured the victory, 25-21.

With the Hawkeyes down, 11-8, in the second set, they used a 5-2 run to tie up the score at 13. At 17-17, the Terrapins scored three-straight points and went on to win the set, 25-19, for a 2-0 set advantage.

Maryland was up, 23-19, in the third set before a 7-1 Iowa run turned the tables, giving Iowa the set, 26-24.

After the third-set comeback, Iowa recorded only 5 kills in the fourth set and lost the match. 3-1.

“To get into the fourth set and only have 5 kills, that’s not acceptable,” head coach Bond Shymansky said in a release. “On the road, you really have to bring everything you have. We needed to fight with more determination.”