One last go-around in Kinnick for Iowa seniors

Saturday’s game against Purdue will be the last game in Kinnick for many Hawkeyes.
The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Sm
Iowa line backer Josey Jewell celebrates an interception during the game between Iowa and Penn State at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017. Both teams are going into the game undefeated with records of 3-0. The Nittany Lions defeated the Hawkeyes 21-19. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa will face Purdue in Kinnick on Saturday, but it will be more than just a game for the Hawkeye seniors.

It will be the last game of their careers in Kinnick, so things will get emotional before the game when the seniors run out of the tunnel to hand off roses and take one last Senior Day photo.

It’s a senior class that has done a lot in its time. It was a part of the 2015 team that went 12-0 in the regular season and made a Rose Bowl appearance, as well as part of the squads that upset top-five teams Michigan and Ohio State at home.

It’s also a unit that has spent a lot of time together. That especially rings true for the linebacker corps of Josey Jewell, Ben Niemann, and Bo Bower.

That squad has combined for 113 starts and has started 22 of the last 23 games together. The trio also ranks first, second, and third on the team in tackles.

“It’s pretty special. You don’t get that a lot, to have two other guys beside you be seniors and have that much experience under their belts,” Jewell said. “We’re all pretty lucky I think.”

Also on the list is running back Akrum Wadley, who had his coming-out party on the road against Northwestern as a sophomore.

RELATED: Purdue air force poses threat

Before then, he was known as a guy who was shifty in space but couldn’t hold on to the ball. Now, three years later, that has changed.

Wadley is one of the most dynamic backs in the Big Ten and has a chance to feast against the Boilermakers’ middle of the pack defense that has allowed 9 touchdowns and 139.4 yards per game on the ground.

Add James Butler in there, who decided to come to Iowa for his final season to be closer to his family instead of staying at Nevada, and the Hawkeyes can make teams pay if things go well.

The team wants to make the most of its opportunity in its last home game, and Wadley is no exception.

“Just realizing that it’s going to be your last game at Kinnick, and you got to make it a good one,” he said.

RELATED: Iowa linebackers ready for final game at Kinnick

It’ll also be a different kind of Senior Day than Boone Myers and Ike Boettger expected. Both are fifth-year seniors who have suffered injuries that put them on the sidelines this season.

While Myers hopes to be back for the bowl game, Boettger’s season is over. Both have still been able to have an effect by helping to coach younger players such as Alaric Jackson and Tristan Wirfs, who have stepped up in place of the injured seniors.

As much as it’ll be a grand farewell for the stars who’ve made an impact on the field over the past four years, it will also be a chance to say goodbye to those who didn’t rack up the same accolades.

At his weekly press conference, head coach Kirk Ferentz noted two players in particular who stick out to him: defensive linemen Daniel Gaffey and Jake Hulett.

Ferentz said everyone on the team has an important role, and those two exemplify that.

While it’s not easy for the players to face their last game, it’ll be a tough reality for everyone in the program as well.