Attendees light candles during the Trans Day of Remembrance Vigil in Danforth Chapel on Thursday, Nov. 16, 2017. The event included the reading of 284 murdered trans peoples' names. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Photos: Trans Day of Remembrance Vigil (11/16/17)

The Danforth Chapel dedication is seen during the Trans Day of Remembrance Vigil in Danforth Chapel on Thursday, Nov. 16, 2017. The event included the reading of 284 murdered trans peoples' names. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)
Candles are lit during the Trans Day of Remembrance Vigil in Danforth Chapel on Thursday, Nov. 16, 2017. The event included the reading of 284 murdered trans peoples' names. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)
UI President Bruce Harreld speaks during the Trans Day of Remembrance Vigil in Danforth Chapel on Thursday, Nov. 16, 2017. The event included the reading of 284 murdered trans peoples' names. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)
A person checks their phone during the Trans Day of Remembrance Vigil in Danforth Chapel on Thursday, Nov. 16, 2017. The event included the reading of 284 murdered trans peoples' names. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)
Volunteers read the names of 284 murdered trans people during the Trans Day of Remembrance Vigil in Danforth Chapel on Thursday, Nov. 16, 2017. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)
A list of the names of 284 murdered trans people is seen during the Trans Day of Remembrance Vigil in Danforth Chapel on Thursday, Nov. 16, 2017. The event included the reading of 284 murdered trans peoples' names. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)
Candles are seen during the Trans Day of Remembrance Vigil in Danforth Chapel on Thursday, Nov. 16, 2017. The event included the reading of 284 murdered trans peoples' names. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)