Rolling Stone contributing editor discusses life of Lou Reed in new book

Anthony DeCurtis reads his book Lou Reed: A Life at Prairie Lights.

Anthony Decurtis speaks to patrons at Prairie Lights bookstore after giving a reading from and answering questions about his new biography titled “Lou Reed: A Life” on Monday, Nov. 13, 2017. Lou Reed fronted the band “The Velvet Underground” and was a hugely influential musician who helped inspire alternative rock.  (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

Anthony Decurtis speaks to patrons at Prairie Lights bookstore after giving a reading from and answering questions about his new biography titled “Lou Reed: A Life” on Monday, Nov. 13, 2017. Lou Reed fronted the band “The Velvet Underground” and was a hugely influential musician who helped inspire alternative rock. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

Salma Rios, [email protected]

When most people picture Lou Reed, they see him as a bad boy with the leather and studs, the lead singer of the 1970s band The Velvet Underground. However, they don’t seem to remember the man behind the leather. Anthony DeCurtis changes all that with his new book, Lou Reed: A Life.

DeCurtis, a contributing editor for Rolling Stone and a distinguished lecturer at the creative-writing program at the University of Pennsylvania, read a few passages of his book at Prairie Lights, 15 S. Dubuque St., on Monday.

The first passage read was set in the 1980s Midwest and talked about Reed’s involvement with Farm Aid, the campaign founded by Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, and Neil Young to help raise money for farmers who were in debt.

Reed was personally invited by Bob Dylan to perform at the first Farm Aid benefit concert in Champaign, Illinois, in 1985.

Lou Reed went on to perform for Farm Aid in 1987 and again in 1990, until the relationship with the campaign soured when Mellencamp invited Guns ’N’ Roses to perform at the show in 1990, a controversial choice that left many people, including Reed, upset.

DeCurtis also read selections about songs Reed wrote during his career, including “Walk on the Wild Side” and “Coney Island Baby.”

“Walk on the Wild Side” was produced by David Bowie and Mick Ronson. Reed was influenced to write the song by Nelson Algren’s novel A Walk on the Wild Side and his experiences at Andy Warhol’s studio, The Factory.

The song differed from Reed’s musical style because it sounded jazzier and lighter than the usual sounds of loudness and screeching.

“Coney Island Baby” was one of Reed’s most romantic songs in his career. He dedicated both the song and the album of the same name to his then girlfriend, Rachel. It was about his love for her and also dealt with his complicated relationship with his sexuality.

After reading selections from his book, DeCurtis opened the floor to questions from the audience.

When asked about what he thought about Reed while writing this book, he said that he got a deeper understanding of who Reed was as a person.

“It’s kind of like swimming across the ocean; it’s like, ‘should I go back or keep going?’ ” he said.

DeCurtis told the audience of his last meeting with Reed, in 2012, a year before the musician died. He invited Reed to speak at the University of Pennsylvania, which he agreed to months before the event happened. Two days before the event, DeCurtis had to talk to Reed and tried to persuade him to go.

Reed ultimately did end up going, and that’s the last time DeCurtis spoke or saw him alive.

As for his motivations for writing the book, DeCurtis said, “Lou deserved a biography like the famous American writers that he admired.”

DeCurtis’ relationship with Reed was casual, and they got along well. They met at an airport in Cleveland and talked for three hours.

Both men could talk about similar topics, such as New York and literature, which Reed enjoyed.

• Rolling Stone contributing editor discusses life of Lou Reed in new book

Renowned Philadelphia Orchestra headlines at Hancher

Arts

Assassins sneak on to the Iowa City Community theater stage

Arts

Your Smith brought emotion, sincerity, and feminine energy to the Mill

Arts

Anthony Worden to celebrate sophomore album release at Trumpet Blossom

The hunt to prove the existence of Sasquatch

Arts

‘Drop the Mic’ leaves an echo in Sanctuary Pub’s Red Room

Arts

MySpace Emo Prom returns to 2007 emo nostalgia

Arts

Turning emotion, into sound, into notes on the Iowa City Ped Mall

Student Spotlight

Kick-starting a career booking big names in music

Arts

Japanese Breakfast an absolute treat at the Mill