Iowa's Adorabol Huckleby hugs a friend after the match against Penn State at Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex on Sunday, April 9. The Hawkeyes went on to defeat the Nittany Lions 6-1. (The Daily Iowan/Ben Smith)

Tennis thrives in consolation rounds

To conclude its fall season, women’s tennis competed in the Florida State All-Conference Showdown.

By James Geerdes

james-geerdes@uiowa.edu

The Iowa women’s tennis team’s fall season came to an end on Sunday in the Florida State All-Conference Showdown in Tallahassee.

Five players were sent to Florida to compete: freshmen Danielle Burich and Danielle Bauers, sophomore Elise van Heuvelen, junior Adorabol Huckleby, and senior Anastasia Reimchen.

On Nov. 10 after an opening round bye, Bauers topped Matea Mihaljevic of Troy to advance to the third round.

The rest of the squad lost its opening matches and competed in the consolation bracket for the rest of the weekend. The doubles team of van Heuvelen and Huckleby beat Katty Weymouth and Katarina Kozarov of Furman after losing their opening round.

Day 2 of the tournament saw Bauers fall in singles to Luisa Zirilli from Middle Tennessee State.

Iowa dominated in the consolation brackets throughout the weekend. Reimchen won her consolation bracket’s singles championship after beating Efriliya Herlina of Troy. Van Heuvelen fell in the final match of her consolation bracket to South Florida’s Evelyne Tiron to secure a runner-up finish.

“We definitely saw some good things over the course of the fall,” Iowa assistant coach Daniel Leitner said in a release. “We have identified different areas in which each player needs to make improvements to be at their best once the spring season starts. Now, it is about each player getting ready for our first match in January.”

Iowa will hit the courts again on Jan. 20, when it hosts Creighton at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Center.