Volleyball notches final home win

Annika Olsen reacts to a mis-hit ball during a volleyball match against Indiana University on Friday, Nov. 3, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Hoosiers 3-0. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

Anna Kayser, [email protected]

Iowa volleyball beat Ohio State, 3-1, in Carver-Hawkeye on Nov. 11 in its final home match of the season.

The first set featured six ties and three lead changes. After taking the lead for the second time, Iowa held off Ohio State and went on to win the set on of back-to-back service aces by freshman Claire Sheehan.

The Buckeyes regained control in the second set and never trailed. They led, 21-12, but a 10-3 Hawkeye run narrowed the lead to 2 points. Ohio State finally secured the set to even up the match 1-1 going into the break.

The third set was another tight one. Iowa held the lead in the first part of the match, but a big Ohio State block gave it a 10-9 lead. With the score tied at 22, back-to-back kills by senior Jess Janota and junior Taylor Louis gave Iowa a lead, and an attack error by Ohio State gave the Hawkeyes the win, 25-22.

Iowa started off strong in the fourth set and, despite Ohio State’s advances, held on for the 25-23 win to secure the match victory, 3-1.

Louis led the Hawkeyes with 17 kills, and Janota and senior Kelsey O’Neill followed with 11 each.

“Ohio State did a great job of battling on,” Iowa head coach Bond Shymansky said in a release. “I just kept reminding our team that our opponents are going to grit and grind. We are going to have to be ready for long rallies. We did a really good job on overall team balance tonight. Double-digit swings out of almost everybody, even our setter with nine attempts.”

Anna Kayser, Assistant Sports Editor
Anna Kayser is currently the Assistant Sports Editor and a football reporter at the DI. She began her college career as a news reporter before moving to the Politics team with a focus on the work of Sen. Chuck Grassley. In her sophomore year, she spent both semesters as a sports beat reporter covering Hawkeye...
  • Volleyball notches final home win

Iowa football’s road to the Big Ten championship is a long one

• Volleyball notches final home win

Point-Counterpoint: Who will win the Big Ten West?

• Volleyball notches final home win

Baseball

Iowa baseball moves on following departures

• Volleyball notches final home win

Soccer

By the Numbers: Iowa soccer’s defense

• Volleyball notches final home win

Former Hawkeye C.J. Beathard takes over for 49ers

• Volleyball notches final home win

Hensley: The Big Ten West is Wisconsin’s to lose now

• Volleyball notches final home win

Hornibrook’s big day against Hawkeye football comes at a big time

• Volleyball notches final home win

Report card: How did Iowa football look against Wisconsin?

• Volleyball notches final home win

Men's tennis

Hawkeyes fight at Milwaukee Tennis Classic

• Volleyball notches final home win

Soccer

Iowa soccer tops Indiana for first Big Ten win