Bipartisan VA Bill Passes

Chuck Grassley speaks at the GOP’s Election Night Party at the Marriott in Des Moines, Iowa on Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2016 shortly after it was announced that he won a 7th term in the U.S. Senate. Grassley touched on topics including national security and making sure Iowan values are represented in Washington. (The Daily Iowan/Brooklynn Kascel)

Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, discussed his plans to advance the well-being of U.S. veterans in a Tuesday press release from his office in honor of Veterans Day.

“… Let’s start with the patient-backlog scandal that has shaken public confidence in the health-care system operated by the Department of Veterans Affairs,” Grassley said in the release. “The unacceptable practice of gaming the system to make it appear waiting times are meeting standards of care set by the VA tragically resulted in preventable deaths and delivered a black eye to the entire VA health-care system.”

Using his responsibilities in overseeing the situation, Grassley said he keeps his thumb on the VA to help ensure that veterans receive the spectrum of services they were promised.

Grassley also noted the expansion of services for Blue Water Navy Vietnam vets exposed to Agent Orange, family caregivers, mental health and traumatic brain-injury care for invisible wounds sustained in combat.

“I have long supported the work of whistleblowers who come forward to report wrongdoing,” Grassley said. “Whistleblowers can help foster a culture of transparency to help ensure the government works for the American people.”

Grassley said he will continue to advocate for those who notice something unacceptable.

“We are blessed with individual freedoms and a way of life like no other place on Earth,” he said. “We owe a debt of gratitude for those who serve in the U.S. armed forces to protect and defend America’s security and sovereignty.”

— Madeleine Neal