Nicholas Baer sidelined with broken bone

The reigning Big Ten Sixth Man of the Year will miss 3-4 weeks with a broken bone in his pinky.

Iowa forward Nicholas Baer goes through introductions during a men's basketball exhibition game between Iowan and William Jewell College in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Friday, Oct. 27, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cardinals, 105-81. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa basketball forward Nicholas Baer will be out 3-4 weeks with a broken bone in his left pinky finger, the program announced Monday evening.

Baer, a junior from Bettendorf, will not need surgery after his injury, according to a release. The injury happened over the weekend in practice.

“Nicholas has played great in preseason practices and this is an unfortunate setback,” head coach Fran McCaffery said in a release. “We expect Nicholas to make a full recovery and look forward to him rejoining his teammates on the court soon.”

Baer is one of Iowa’s co-captains and also the 2016-17 Big Ten Sixth Man of the Year. He put up 7.5 points and led the Hawkeyes in rebounds (5.8), steals (1.4), and blocks (1.3) last season in 34 games (10 starts). Baer was the only player in Division 1 basketball last season to score 250 points, record 45 steals, make 45 3-pointers, and block at least 40 shots in a single season; he was the first Big Ten player in the past 25 years to accomplish that feat in a single season.

Baer’s injury presents McCaffery with yet another lineup predicament. The coach said after his team’s win over Belmont Abbey on Nov. 2 that he liked Baer coming off the bench. McCaffery opted to start forward Ahmad Wagner at the 3, so it’s not unreasonable to believe Iowa will go with the same starting five as it did in the final exhibition contest.

Baer did, however, bring intensity off the bench – as his conference honor would suggest – and it’ll be challenging for the Hawkeyes to find ‘that guy’ on the second unit.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor
Adam Hensley is the current Pregame Editor at the DI, covering football, men’s basketball, and baseball. Formerly the DI Sports Editor, Hensley has been on staff for all four years of his time at the University of Iowa, covering a wide range of sports, including cross-country, track and field, and women’s basketball. Comments comments
  • Nicholas Baer sidelined with broken bone

Men's Basketball

A healthy Luka Garza is key for Iowa basketball

Men's Basketball

Iowa basketball’s Garza out indefinitely following surgery

Men's Basketball

Big Ten schedule set for Hawkeye basketball

Men's Basketball

Previewing Iowa basketball’s non-conference schedule

Men's Basketball

Iowa basketball’s stat-sheet hero: Luka Garza

Men's Basketball

Leonard trade Spurs’ disappointment

Men's Basketball

All eyes on incoming freshman Joe Wieskamp this basketball season

Men's Basketball

Hawkeyes out West in NBA Summer League

Men's Basketball

Zuniga: Boston and the Kyrie Irving problem

Men's Basketball

Offseason checkup: Tyler Cook