Iowa players celebrate while Indiana misses a save during the Iowa/Indiana volleyball match in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Friday, Nov. 3, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Hoosiers, 3-0. (David Haramantas/The Daily Iowan)

Big block leads Hawkeyes to victory

By Anna Kayser
anna-kayser@uiowa.com

The Iowa volleyball team swept Indiana in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Nov. 3 in a major Big Ten match.

Indiana took an early lead in the first set, but a kill by senior middle blocker Jess Janota tied the set at 6. Iowa never trailed again, going on a 13-2 run to widen the gap to 24-12. Another Janota kill sealed the win, 25-13.

The beginning of the second set was closer with five ties. With the score tied at 6, a 7-2 run gave the Hawkeyes a 13-8 lead. They didn’t stop there, winning, 25-14.

Iowa started off strong in the third set with a 4-0 lead and never let up. A 9-2 run extended the lead to 17-7. Indiana attempted a comeback, but Iowa closed out the set, 25-16, and sealed the match sweep.

The Hawkeyes recorded 11 blocks in the match and held the Hoosiers to a minus-.010 attack percentage.

Janota led Iowa with 10 kills and a career high .833 attack percentage.

“Great effort by our team tonight, really came up strong with serving and blocking,” head coach Bond Shymansky said. “Blocking is something that has evolved for us in the last couple of weeks. Stronger game planning, I think, with a lot better intensity, 11 blocks in three sets is a really great number for us, and our hitting efficiency got better through the night. What a great performance.”