Nobody can sideline Armand or these Hawkeyes

A look at the successful Iowa soccer campaign and how Rachele Armand made her presence felt, even after she could no longer take the field.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily
Iowa’s Rachele Armand dribbles the ball during a game against Montana at the Soccer Complex on Friday, Sept. 8, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated to the Griz, 1-0 on senior night. (Lily Smith/ The Daily Iowan)

By Jordan Zuniga

After two seasons in which the Hawkeyes amassed a total of three conference wins, the Iowa soccer team rebounded this season, going 4-5-2 in conference play, 9-8-2 overall.

With their improved record came a postseason game, and even though they lost, they played a heck of a game against the best team in the Big Ten.

This season was definitely a fun ride for Iowa soccer, but next year should be even better.

Senior Rachele Armand said this season was “just the tip of the iceberg” for this young Hawkeye team, and it’s hard to fault her for saying that. Iowa will return nine of its 11 starters from their last regular-season game and four of their top five goal scorers.

“They definitely have big things ahead of them,” senior defender Corey Burns said. “That [sophomore] class is going to grow into something really big for them. I think this was a great breakthrough season for the team. It’s unfortunate how it ended, but I think it just means next year is going to be even better for them.”

Next year is fun to talk about, but the Hawkeyes wouldn’t be in this position if it weren’t for their hard work and dedication this year.

All year, the players worked hard to better themselves on the field, and the results surely showed.

“Early on, it was very obvious they really liked to practice and learn,” head coach Dave DiIanni said. “Every day, they craved getting better and improving themselves as soccer players.”

That desire to be better in practice turned into a burning desire to win during games. Several times throughout the season, the Hawkeyes fell to the turf, but they kept finding a way back up.

RELATED: Soccer season closes in double overtime

“No matter how many times we missed opportunities that we felt we should have grasped, they always bounced back and found a way to get the next game,” DiIanni said.

A good word to describe this team would be resilient, and a lot of that usually comes from the top down. Iowa certainly had great senior leadership.

Burns, the only player who had been on the team for five years, was a big part of that leadership, and that showed when Iowa’s defensive anchor Armand’s season ended with a torn ACL.

“She really made sure that I felt a part of the team,” Armand said. “[Burns] made sure I knew I still had a big role on this team. When I wasn’t able to travel, she was constantly FaceTiming me, calling me. I was lucky to have her.”

As a part of the team, Armand made sure her replacement, true freshman Morgan Krause, felt comfortable and confident taking over for her.

“I just told her that she’s proven herself in practice,” Armand said. “I told her to not over-think it and that if anyone’s going to take my spot, I want it to be her.”

Armand’s positive attitude and active involvement in the team after her injury was a major reason she was named Iowa’s Big Ten Women’s Soccer Sportsmanship Honoree.

Losing this year’s seniors will hurt, but it seems as if Iowa soccer will still be well off next year, in part because of the leadership these seniors have shown.

Without a doubt, the trajectory arrow for Iowa soccer has   been moved skyward this season.