Nighttime Mayor Angela Winnike offers young voice to City Council

Iowa City City Council At Large candidate Angela Winnike speaks during the UISG City Council Forum in the IMU on Wednesday, Oct. 18, 2017. The event gave students and community members the opportunity to ask city council candidates about the issues. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

Iowa City’s nighttime mayor sets her sights on a seat on the Iowa City City Council.

By Sarah Watson

Iowa City’s nighttime mayor is taking a shot at a day shift.

Angela Winnike is running for an at-large seat on the Iowa City City Council. Winnike has lived in Iowa City all her life, graduating from Iowa City West in 2001 and the University of Iowa in 2006.

After graduating, she served as the chief of retail operations for the Java House and Heirloom Salad Co., and in April, she was appointed to be Iowa City nighttime mayor, in which she serves as the go-between for downtown businesses and the city.

“I am a voice for those who are not always represented,” Winnike said. “I am a single, minority, woman, and I want to bring that perspective to the council.”

Her platform includes addressing lack of transportation, allowing more accessibility to city government leaders, and developing a safer and more welcoming downtown.

Winnike said she wants to increase communication and transparency between city government and members of the community through an online platform. With technological advances, Winnike said, she would like to see more information online about city government and a comment form put in place for easier communication among councilors and the people of Iowa City.

RELATED: Group names “Nighttime Mayor”

“Everyone carries around a phone, it would be a really simple way to give our entire community better access to information,” she said.

As a former student and employee in Iowa City, Winnike said, she wants to improve the amount of transportation in the evenings and on weekends.

“A lot of students work in hourly jobs, especially in the service industry, as do a lot of low-income hourly workers in our community,” Winnike said. “Because bus routes are so limited, people have a hard time accessing things like, for example, going to a City Council meeting every first and third Tuesday.”

She said she would like to see more creative options to address the problem like ride-sharing apps or nighttime carpooling.

Winnike also supports creating a safer and more welcoming downtown.

“Our downtown community is for everyone,” she said. “Downtown is what everyone looks at. It’s important that we keep it vibrant, that we keep developing it.”

In her role as nighttime mayor, she has helped implement programing such as SHOUT, in which student ambassadors stationed downtown can provide assistance to students who don’t require police intervention.

As with many of the other candidates, Winnike said she wants to make affordable housing one of her biggest priorities. Steps she wants to take include implementing stricter regulations for landlords, creating a better balance between rental and owned property, and increasing the density and upward growth of housing downtown.

• Nighttime Mayor Angela Winnike offers young voice to City Council

City Council

City Council candidates hold public forum to communicate with students

City Council

Iowa City looks to fight flash flooding with new pump system

City Council

City Council enacts climate-action plan

City Council

Human Rights commission addresses affordable housing, education equity

City Council

Iowa City raises pet fees to offset shelter costs

City Council

Iowa City City Council approves Pentacrest Garden rezoning

City Council

Freerks, Teague win special primary election for City Council seat

City Council

City Council confronts emerald ash borer, impact on Iowa City ash trees

City Council

Meet the 5 candidates running in today’s Iowa City Council primary election

City Council

Voters given incorrect information about polling places