In the haunting season: Iowa maintains its Theaters of Fear

Circle of Ash Scream Park co-owner and actor Mark Fuller poses for a series of portraits shortly before the park opened on Oct. 22. Fuller, who has been involved with the organization for 14 years, compares the working environment to a second family. (James Year/The Daily Iowan)

Behind the creaky doors of area haunted houses.

By James Year

Fall is in full swing. The leaves have changed and fallen, cafés pump out overly spiced pumpkin spice lattes like caffeinated gas stations, kids gorge themselves on heaps of free sweets, and freshly carved pumpkins count their final days on the windswept and chilly stoops across the upper Midwest.

Another cultural treat is something many may disregard out of fear — haunted houses.

Hundreds of haunted houses operate throughout the United States, including dozens within driving distance of Iowa City. The houses are currently winding down after a month spent scaring their anxious clientele.

Putting on a production that will attract enough customers to keep the lights running, while making a profit, is no easy feat. Quite the contrary: Every haunted house has to overcome similar challenges to be successful.

So much goes into a well-executed haunted house: set design, lighting, music, special effects, makeup, costume design, and construction. And, of course, acting.

Finding the right people is one of the largest hurdles for these events. Actors undergo mandatory training that meets both state regulations and often abide by even stricter company standards.

The Factory of Fear is no exception. It has operated out of an old, rough-looking, children’s toy factory in the Moline area for the last 25 years. The haunted house has an industrial atmosphere with an emphasis on claustrophobic spaces. Even with the often-cramped working environment, volunteers and employees enjoy the work.

“We currently have 10 people on staff who have been with the company for more than five years,” Factory of Fear Haunt Director Brett Deleo said. “This is the best crew that we’ve ever had.” 

Mark Fuller is another who makes an impact on this seasonal black magic. When he isn’t busy working at a Cedar Rapids hotel, he is invested in the Circle of Ashes in Central City, Iowa, where he has been a part owner and operator of the business for the last 14 years.

“The people and the cast are second family for me,” he said.

The motivated establishment has a well-trained cast, including clowns, killers, and monsters spackled with heavy theater-grade makeup and elaborate costumes.

The business was built from the ground up and goes through continual improvement and reinvestment each season at the Linn County Fairgrounds.  

Another spooky staple in the Midwestern fear industry, Scream Acres, near Atkins, Iowa, serves as an operational farm throughout the year but comes alive during the fall with family-friendly events during the day and frightening entertainment for adults after sunset.

Like other haunted attractions, Scream Acres’ preparation for the season can be intense. Over the past few years, it has gone from one cornfield path filled with actors to a massive complex of four separate attractions with a highly technical setup with many special effects.

“We cater to all crowds,” Scream Acres manager Noah Robinson said. “Families in the day, and adults at night. We cater to everybody.”

Apart from the sheer size, Scream Acres sets itself apart through the variety of entertainment and facilities available. In between the terror, the crowd keeps busy with concessions, games, and a fire-breathing entertainer, until they move on from the grizzly Slaughterhouse attraction to the zombie-loaded Cell Block Z.

Any one of these haunted attractions is a great time for those who can muster the courage. However, many people may be immediately put off by these intentionally phobia-laden venues laced with the eerie smoke machines, cobwebs, and monsters.

If you fall into that camp, take a minute to appreciate the backbreaking work and performances put into making a terrifyingly immersive theatrical experience that breaks up the monotony of every other family holiday. Even then, there’s still a few haunted attractions around that are open tonight, on Halloween night, and they’re always looking for actors and volunteers for next year.

It’s the perfect job for both the oddly eccentric and the crazy brave.

In the meantime, keep the season alive, and enjoy that tasty cider.

Click here for more photos

[masterslider id=”143″]