Iowa City City Council candidate Ryan Hall wants to bring young voices to the table

Iowa City City Council District B candidate Ryan Hall speaks during the UISG City Council Forum in the IMU on Wednesday, Oct. 18, 2017. The event gave students and community members the opportunity to ask city council candidates about issues. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

Ryan Hall wants to bring a different perspective to the City Council — a student voice.

Hall, 24, is a nontraditional student at the University of Iowa studying environmental policy as a junior. Hall grew up in the Detroit area, and after attending college in Michigan for two years, he took a three-year gap, in which he served for AmeriCorps in three locations.

In Columbus, Ohio, he worked at an inner-city public school. He then served as a firefighter in Colorado until he moved to Decorah, Iowa, where he worked with renewable-energy efficiency. After biking from Oregon to Washington, where he campaigned about the dangers of climate change, he decided to return to Iowa to finish his education.

“If we are to be a community really leading the way, we need to include new and young voices at the table,” Hall said.

His three-campaign platform items include sustainability, economic and racial justice, and more collaboration between the UI community and the city.

Hall’s No. 1 priorities are sustainability and combating climate change. He said he would support green policies such as transitioning to more renewable energy, building bicycle and walking infrastructure, and continuing the city’s work on reducing greenhouse-gas emissions.

“I believe that climate change is the No. 1 issue facing humanity,” Hall said. “It’s also the No. 1 opportunity for job growth for public-health sector people.”

RELATED: UI student aims to bring student perspective to City Council

In economic and racial justice, his priorities include addressing affordable housing, transportation, raising wages, and supporting unions. Although the state Legislature has invalidated any power the city government had to enforce a county-wide minimum wage, Hall said he is committed to doing all he can to better wages in the community.

“As far as what the city can do, our contracts can be union labor, our TIF policies can support union labor,” he said. “I come from a union labor family, and I would continue to support it wherever it is to be found and however the city can manage that.”

He said his experience serving in Ohio has made him passionate about economic and racial justice.

“I’ll pull from a lot of my AmeriCorps experience; I was trying to help students who were several grade levels behind get on track to graduation,” Hall said. “Meanwhile, they were combating systemic racism, and it happens here in our community, too.

“That’s why I’m speaking a lot about racial justice because I’m trying to raise wages, have better jobs, have better transportation, address food insecurity, and improve relations with the police.”

As a voice for the City Council, Hall said he would prioritize the city collaborating with the UI to combat problems, and bring more student concerns to the table.

“There exists two worlds in Iowa City,” he said. “There’s the university campus and then there’s the city and its residents. I don’t know that that gap needs to continue to be there. Building a bridge means bringing students together with seniors to tackle affordable housing, it means having the city work more collaboratively with the university to try to provide more housing alternatives.”

Fast Facts

Age: 24

Education: pursuing Environmental Policy B.A., University of Iowa

Sarah Watson, Politics Editor
Twitter: @K_5mydearwatson Sarah Watson is the current Politics Editor at the DI, coordinating breaking news and in-depth coverage of Iowa politics. She reported on UI Student Government and Iowa politics as a reporter her freshman year. Comments comments
  • Iowa City City Council candidate Ryan Hall wants to bring young voices to the table

City Council

Wills set to run for Iowa City City Council

City Council

Ryan Hall launches second bid for Iowa City City Council

City Council

IC City Council special election set for Oct. 2

City Council

City Councilor Botchway resigns to take new position in Waterloo

City Council

Iowa City city councilor selected for job in Waterloo

City Council

City Council delays rezoning vote for downtown high-rise again

City Council

Downtown Iowa City high-rise apartment set for council vote

City Council

Proposed development sparks City Council debate following rezoning request

City Council

City Council votes to increase rental-inspection frequency

City Council

New fireworks sales regulations come to Iowa City