Dance Marathon makes lime the new black as Big Event approaches

Dance Marathon held daily events last week for Lime Days to celebrate the Big Event, which is fewer than 100 days away.
FILE – A Dance Marathon family member carries an FTK sign during the first hour of the Big Event in the IMU on Feb. 6, 2015. This is Dance Marathon’s 21st Big Event at UI. (The Daily Iowan/file)

While Halloween is approaching, and black and orange are rapidly covering the campus, the color green was seen everywhere last week to honor Lime Days.

Dance Marathon held a series of daily events to motivate dancers, raise awareness for the organization, and celebrate being 100 days away from the Big Event in February.

“It was amazing to see everyone come together and work toward something bigger than ourselves,” morale captain Allyson Bingham said. “It blows my mind that we, college kids, are so motivated to help our Dance Marathon kiddos and families. It honestly is so humbling and heartwarming, and we do what we do for the best kiddos ever.”

RELATED: UI Children’s Hospital patients walk the runway in style for Dance Marathon

Oct. 25 marked being 100 days away from the Big Event, occurring Feb. 2-3, 2018. “A Day in the Life of a Kiddo,” a lecture in the IMU that evening, featured stories from Dance Marathon families and staff, demonstrating how different kids have benefited from the organization during their battles with cancer.

“Each story was just as inspiring as the next, and they spoke very highly of Dance Marathon and what we do for families, but I think everyone would agree that we are the ones who are incredibly blessed to work alongside these strong and wonderful families,” said Riley Arnold, the family representative chair. “Audience members had the opportunity to listen to medical professionals and see firsthand who they are fighting for, our amazing kiddos and their families.”

Because the Big Event is fewer than 100 days away, executive leaders and dancers will continue to raise funds as well as support Dance Marathon families.