No rulings made at Ped Mall shooting hearing

Lamar Wilson of Iowa City leaves the court room during a case management hearing for State of Iowa v. Lamar Wilson in the Johnson County courthouse on Friday, Oct. 27, 2017. Wilson’s lawyers asked the judge to dismiss charges against him using Iowa’s “stand your ground” law. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Attorneys await answers on whether “Stand Your Ground” law is a viable defense in Ped Mall shooting trial.

A 6th District judge made no rulings at an Oct. 27 hearing regarding whether to grant defendant Lamar Wilson’s request for a venue change and whether to dismiss one of the charges filed against him.

Defense attorney John W. Bruzek moved for a speedy trial and suggested pushing up the trial date to Nov. 6, but 6th District Judge Paul Miller did not grant the request. A decision on the motions is expected by Nov. 1.

Wilson, 23, is awaiting his case to go to trial in connection with the Aug. 27 Pedestrian Mall shooting near the Sheraton Hotel, 210 S. Dubuque St. His defense would like to employ Iowa’s “Stand Your Ground” law, which enables people to use deadly force to protect themselves as long as their perception of danger is “reasonable.”

Authorities have charged Wilson with first-degree murder, criminal gang participation, a Class-D felony, and three counts of intimidation with a dangerous weapon.

The shooting resulted in the death of Iowa City resident Kaleek Jones, 22, and wounded two others who were transported to a hospital.

According to Iowa City police, the shooting was not a random act, and the incident occurred between two known “groups,” one of which was from Iowa City and the other from Cedar Rapids.

The trial date of Nov. 7 remains in place. Wilson is being held on a $1.75 million bond.

Daily Iowan staff