Men’s tennis scrambles into Big Tens

Joseph Cress
Iowa’s Kareem Allaf returns a ball during a men’s tennis meet against Wisconsin in the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex on Sunday, March 5, 2017. The Hawkeyes lost to the Badgers, 5-2. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

The Iowa men’s tennis team will conclude its fall individual competition at the Big Ten Singles and Doubles Tournament at Michigan State’s indoor and outdoor tennis facilities in East Lansing this weekend.

Play will start on Oct. 27, and the championship matches in both singles and doubles will be played on Oct. 29.

The Hawkeyes are going into this tournament riding on the success of redshirt sophomore Kareem Allaf’s strong showing last weekend in the regionals. Allaf raced through the tournament but was eventually topped in the semifinals.

“It was nice to see Kareem have a good tournament this fall in singles,” head coach Ross Wilson said. “It was good to see his level be consistent over the weekend.”
Iowa heads into this weekend with all but one of its eight-man roster.

Senior leader Josh Silverstein will stay at home because of a NCAA fall tournament cap. Silverstein has played in a number of tournaments this fall and is ranked No. 66 nationally.

A six-and-a-half-hour car ride stands between the seven Hawkeyes and East Lansing.

RELATED: Iowa tennis shows progress with tournament wins

“It’s always good atmosphere to go out with the team, listen to some nice songs,” freshman Joe Tyler said. “It’s a long journey, so a lot of jokes will be thrown around. And it’s always great to have the team’s support in a tournament.”

The tournament will be a good transition into spring play, Wilson said.

“I want to see how we match up with other guys in the Big Ten,” he said. “Guys that we’re going to compete with in the conference. It’s a good opportunity to see how our freshmen compete with other guys in the conference. And our other guys to get some wins to see where we are at.”

The team is ready for its final its final test this fall season.

“I’m hoping our team goes far this week,” Wilson said. “It’s pretty important because we are going to compete against these guys the whole season, so it’s important to get a good start now. A lot of us are really confident going in, so hopefully, we go far. “

Tyler is eager to hit the courts, as well. After missteps at the regional tournament, the freshman has high hopes for this weekend.

“I didn’t get the results and lost two close matches [at the regional],” Tyler said. “But hopefully, that will come this weekend. I want to try to get to my best this weekend. I want to make it to the semifinals and win three or four matches in the tournaments. Hopefully, I’ll see some positives.”

The fall season has seen ups and downs from a small Hawkeye squad so far. The fifth and final tournament of the fall presents another chance.