Behind enemy lines: Minnesota

Football editor Courtney Baumann talked to Minnesota football reporter Jack Warrick about what’s going on with the Minnesota football team. Warrick offered insight into the changes head coach P.J. Fleck has made, the offensive game, and who the difference makers have been for the Golden Gophers so far this season.
A fans wears a Goldy the Gopher hat during the Iowa-Minnesota game at TCF Banks Stadium in Minneapolis on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2016. The Hawkeyes defeated the Golden Gophers, 14-7. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

By Courtney Baumann

Daily Iowan: What do you think the biggest change has been since P.J. Fleck came in?

Jack Warrick: I’d just say energy is the key word to describe what happened when he came in. The old coach, Tracy Claeys, didn’t have that much energy, wouldn’t run out with the team, run around practice and shout things at players, squirt water in the kickers’ faces before they go for a field goal.

But Fleck runs around, creating a buzz on campus. He’s got this culture he’s trying to bring to the team, where it’s all about doing the right thing. It’s the same type of thing he brought to Western Michigan, too. He’s even suspended people for whatever reason, things he hasn’t told the media. He suspended one of the quarterbacks for three games earlier in the season. He’s a big culture guy and is willing to sacrifice doing well for doing the right thing.

DI: How do you think the matchup for Iowa and Minnesota is going to go this week? Both have been off to a not-so-great start and it’s been a tight race between the two over the past few years.

Warrick: Both teams have sort of struggled in the conference with getting the offense going, especially the rushing game … Minnesota has had some pretty terrible rushing games. It seems like they can only win when they get 200 yards at least … The defense is pretty solid for both teams. I think it’ll be interesting and a low-scoring game, but whoever can get the rushing game going will be the winner.

RELATED: Brian Ferentz learning on the fly

DI: Who’s the difference maker for Minnesota going to be?

Warrick: On offense, I would say that the running backs, Kobe McCrary, he’s only played two games this season, but he’s been huge in those two. He’s had 100-plus yards both times, and he’s been filling in for an injured Shannon Brooks, who’s kind of dinged up this year. Coach Fleck said that he’s going to get more touches, and I can see him running against Iowa, I wouldn’t say he’ll get most of the touches, but I can see him getting a lot of the touches …

As well as the quarterbacks. There’re two starting quarterbacks throughout the year. Demry Croft, the younger guy, over the redshirt senior Conor Rhoda, is kind of taking the team over at this point. Rhoda had it, but Croft took over after the suspension … It’ll be interesting to see if they use both quarterbacks this week.

DI: Who are you taking in this game?

Warrick: I’ll go with the line and say Iowa. They’ve played closer games to tougher teams, like Penn State. I don’t think Minnesota would be able to do that. Iowa has a better quarterback, quite frankly … They have a great running back as well. Offense to offense, I think that Iowa has the better offense and will win this game by a close margin. I’d say it’ll probably be 21-14.