Grassley concerned about Canadian, Mexican work visas

TNS
Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, at the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing for Elena Kagan before her nomination to be an associate justice of the Supreme Court in a June 29, 2010, file image, in Washington, D.C. (Rafael Suanes/TNS)

Grassley concerned about Canadian, Mexican work visas Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, urges the administration to consider the TN visa program while considering changes to NAFTA during negotiations.

The TN visa programs permits Canadian and Mexican citizens to work in the United States in selected businesses for U.S. or international employers  — individuals may work up to three years and renew that status continuously.

Grassley, the Senate Judiciary Committee chairman, wrote a letter to the to U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer. Grassley’s letter was published in a release from the senator’s office.

“Evidence suggests that employers will pursue any means available tohire highly skilled foreign workers, who generally cost less and are more vulnerable than American workers. Given the current administration’s focus on protections for the American worker, including efforts to rein in the H-1B program, businesses will look for alternative sources of cheap foreign labor to exploit,” Grassley said in the letter.

“With few restrictions and a ready supply of nearby professionals, employers are likely to turn to the TN visa category. The TN visa, if left unchanged in its current form, could well undermine the administration’s broader efforts.”

The release noted that the number of TN visas are increasing on a yearly basis.

“This uncapped and under-recognized pool of high-skill employees exacerbates the risk to American workers already present in certain industries that rely too heavily on foreign workers,” Grassley said. “It also constrains the U. S. government’s total discretion over our immigration laws.”

— Madeleine Neal