Men’s golf tries to catch up at Royal Oaks Intercollegiate

Iowas+Benton+Weinberg+walks+towards+the+clubhouse+during+a+tournament+at+the+Donald+Ross+Course+at+the+Cedar+Rapids+Country+Club+in+Cedar+Rapids+on+Tuesday%2C+Sept.+19%2C+2017.+
Joseph Cress
Iowa’s Benton Weinberg walks towards the clubhouse during a tournament at the Donald Ross Course at the Cedar Rapids Country Club in Cedar Rapids on Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017.

The Iowa men’s golf team shot a 3-over par for the first two rounds of the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate to put them in 10th place among 14 teams.

Benton Weinberg lead the way for the Hawks, carding a 1-under, which put him in a tie for 25th.

Matthew Walker is tied for 36th after shooting 1-over, and Sam Meuret scored a 2-over, tying him for 40th.

Alex Schaake is tied for 45th place after carding a 3-over. Ryoto Furuya anchors the group at 6-over which puts him tied for 58th.

“We started the day decent but went flat on the back nine,” head coach Tyler Stith said in a release. “We didn’t execute well enough, and the putters went cold. The second round was a much better performance. Benton, Matthew, and Sam played solid. Alex battled back from 5-over par to shoot 2-over. Benton’s 67 was clutch. We needed someone to step up this afternoon, and he responded.”

Baylor holds the top spot in the field at 22-under, and Arkansas is second at 9-under. Liberty in third at 8-under.

The third and final round is set to begin today at 8:15 a.m.

— Sean Bock