Iowa Hawkeye volleyball players celebrate the final point of the match against the Northwestern University Wildcats on Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Wildcats three sets to zero. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa rebounds, sweeps unranked Big Ten team

By Anna Kayser

anna-kayser@uiowa.edu

The Hawkeye volleyball team bounced back from a Oct. 20 loss to sweep Northwestern on Oct. 21 in Carver-Hawkeye.

The first set was close, featuring nine ties and seven lead changes.

Northwestern had a 19-15 lead before Iowa ran off 6-straight points. A kill by junior outside hitter Taylor Louis sealed the set, 25-23, giving the Hawkeyes a 1-0 match lead.

The Wildcats made the next two sets close, but Iowa never trailed.

RELATED: Volleyball drops a heartbreaker to unranked opponent

In the second set, Iowa jumped out to a 6-2 lead, but rallies by Northwestern made the entire set a battle. A solo block and a tip by freshman setter Brie Orr finished off the match with Iowa on top, 25-21.

The third set started off close before a 9-3 Hawkeye run put them on top, 15-9. The Iowa lead would stretch to as many as 10 points, but Northwestern came back on a 6-2 run before Iowa finished the set, 25-18.

Louis led the Hawkeye offense with 11 kills and a career best .625 attack percentage.

“Great bounce back performance by our whole team, that took a lot to dig deep and get over the feeling of the disappointment from [Illinois],” head coach Bond Shymansky said. “We knew [Northwestern’s] match was huge for us in terms of just progressing things forward.”