One on one with Nate Stanley

The Daily Iowan’s Adam Hensley caught up with Hawkeye quarterback Nate Stanley for this week’s one-on-one interview for Pregame.
Iowa quarterback Nate Stanley looks to pass while getting a block by Akrum Wadley during an NCAA football game between Iowa and Illinois in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Fighting Illini, 45-16. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Daily Iowan: What’s your favorite genre of music?

Nate Stanley: Country music.

DI: Who’s your favorite artist?

Stanley: I wouldn’t say I really have a favorite artist — when I listen to country, I listen to Pandora, so whatever comes on. If I had to choose one, it would probably be Darius Rucker.

DI: Favorite fast food place?

Stanley: I haven’t eaten fast food in a long time … Culvers.

DI: Who’s your funniest teammate?

Stanley: Brandon Bishop. He’s always cracking jokes. He’s not afraid — even in tense situations — to crack jokes.

DI: What’s your dream job outside of football?

Stanley: I would really like to be a physical therapist someday.

DI: Is there a certain player you model your game after?

Stanley: I think you try to take things away from anybody who has been successful. Obviously, you try to take things away from a guy such as Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

DI: Best memory so far as a Hawkeye?

Stanley: I think the atmosphere and the environment in the locker room after the Iowa State game. That was pretty special, being able to get a win like that and celebrate with your teammates.

DI: When you guys are in practice, who in the secondary is the hardest to go up against?

Stanley: I’d say Josh Jackson. He’s super athletic. He’s a great player and always poses problems for guys when he’s matched up with them because he’s physical, he’s fast, he’s long, [and] he’s a tough guy to win against.

DI: If you could play for any NFL team, which team would it be and why?

Stanley: I’ve always been a Bears’ fan growing up. I think it would be cool to play for the team you always rooted for as a kid.

DI: If you could live anywhere, where would you live?

Stanley: I’d say somewhere in the Midwest. I like the seasons that the Midwest has, all the recreational opportunities. Hunting and fishing as a kid, [I’d] like to continue that as I get older.

DI: Who’s your biggest role model?