Guest Opinion: PHIL week celebrates giving big and small

Giving back to the university helps important aspects of our community, even if that donation is small.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Ben S
FILE – A Herky statue with a “PHIL Was Here” sash stands on the Pentacrest on Monday, April 24, 2017. Beginning in 2012, the UI launched PHIL Was Here to celebrate philanthropy at the university. (The Daily Iowan/Ben Smith)

My husband and I wish we had $1 million to give to the University of Iowa every year because there are so many colleges that bring service, inspiration, and joy to our community. We have a difficult time prioritizing our limited donations, and this year, we have chosen to support medical research and the arts.

For the first time this year, we donated to the crowd-funding GOLDrush project, established by the Pediatric Pain and Palliative Care team, which helps families of children who are facing major medical challenges. It provides support for those families who want to care for their children at home but still need one parent to work in order to keep health insurance.

RELATED: Guest Opinion: Philanthropy enriches UI School of Music

We also invest in cancer research, because both of our families have been affected by genetically inherited cancers; we hope young scientists and physicians will be inspired to seek careers that ultimately will prevent these cancers in our children and grandchildren.

Finally, we enjoy supporting both visual and performing arts, in thanksgiving for the artists who bring joy to our lives and enrich the spirit of our community.

— Sue O’Dorisio, M.D., 2017 We Are Phil Co-Chair and Tom O’Dorisio, M.D.