Jewell receives more honors

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Sm
Iowa linebacker Josey Jewell (43) celebrates a successful tackle during the game between Iowa and Michigan State at Spartan Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017. The Hawkeyes fell to the Spartans with a final score of 10-17. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Hawkeyes might’ve had a bye this past weekend, but that didn’t stop Josey Jewell from earning more awards.

The senior from Decorah was named a midseason first-team All-American by the Associated Press, CBSSports.com, Sporting News, and the All-America website.

In addition to the All-America honors, Jewell was named a quarterfinalist for the Lott Impact Trophy, which is given to the best defensive impact player in the nation.

In 2013, former Iowa linebacker James Morris was a finalist for the award, and Desmond King was a semifinalist in 2016.

RELATED: Jewell named to 2 more watch lists

The winner will be announced Dec. 10; the finalists will be named on Nov. 28. Semifinalists are set to be announced on Nov. 8, as well.

With an astounding 42 tackles over his past three games, Jewell leads the Big Ten with 70 tackles, which is good for No. 7 in the country.

His 70 tackles are 18 more than second place in the conference, even after Iowa’s bye week.

Jewell’s 9.5 tackles-for-loss also ranks second in the Big Ten, behind only Nick Bosa of Ohio State, who has 10.

Jewell has been named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week twice this season, for his performances against Wyoming and Penn State.