DITV: First look inside Iowa City’s new Hilton Garden Inn

The Hilton Garden Inn is shown on Clinton Street on Tuesday, July 18, 2017. The 12th floor of the hotel features a rooftop bar accessible to both Hilton rewards members as well as guests and community members. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

A new Hilton Garden Inn with 143 guest rooms just opened on South Clinton street. At 12 stories high, it’s the tallest building in downtown Iowa City.

Management said this is one of the first new hotels to open in downtown Iowa City for about 30 years. It includes not only guest suites, but a ballroom for events and a rooftop restaurant as well.

“It’s been a very exciting process,” said Neal Roth, the hotel’s general manager. “I was here 22 months ago in December of 2015 when we broke ground on this very spot. After 22 months of construction, we opened the hotel last week on October 25, and Vue rooftop is set to open on October 24.”

RELATED: A room with a Vue for Iowa City

When starting up a new hotel, countless things have to be taken into consideration, from the type of mattresses, to the style of bathtubs, to getting the pool inspected for safety. The Hilton is also preparing to host wedding receptions and other special events.

“It’s been kind of hectic, but it’s been really good. I mean there’s just a good energy about everyone right now. I think things are going really well,” said Emily Ash, the hotel’s Director of Special Events.

Construction is also finishing up on the Vue restaurant on the top floor of the hotel. When it opens, anyone in Iowa City can come for a craft beer, cocktail, and the view.

—  Kaylyn Kluck

• DITV

DITV Newscast: Aug. 20, 2018

• DITV: First look inside Iowa City’s new Hilton Garden Inn

DITV

Video: DITV meets the Big Ten​’s mascots

DITV

Video: Players and coaches discuss mascots at Big Ten media days

DITV

DITV: Therapy animals provide comfort for those who need emotional relief

DITV

TV: University of Iowa Senior discusses his worries about Temporary Protected U.S. Status

Dance Marathon

Video: First time dancers react to Dance Marathon 24

Video: Dance Marathon member optimistic as Big Event approaches

Video: New location for questions about U-bill

DITV

Video: Iowa City home to unique healing center

Video: Students, UI police host self-defense 101 to teach students how to respond to violence