Brennan: PHIL week: Thoughts from UI student philanthropist

During my first two years at Iowa, I’ve come to realize the abundance of opportunities that we students have outside of the classroom. It is these opportunities that help us grow our leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills, all of which will be crucial as we step into the workforce. During my time at Iowa, I have served as an ambassador for the University of Iowa Tippie College of Business, a mentor to local high-school students, and president of the Student Advancement Network — our philanthropy group on campus.

This group has shown me the effect that private giving has on our university and made me understand the real reason that donors choose to give: the students. These donors’ acts of kindness, and their commitment to Iowa, have formed a university in which students are able to grow and succeed.

RELATED: Guest Opinion: Art of philanthropy alive at Hancher

As a double major in industrial engineering and finance, my course load can be hectic. Fortunately, I’ve received scholarships each year that significantly reduce the financial stress associated with a college education. Without these scholarships, I wouldn’t be able to take full advantage of the opportunities that Iowa offers because much of my time outside of classes would be spent working. The generosity of others has enabled me to take on these challenges, and I couldn’t be more appreciative.

Now, as the president of the Student Advancement Network, my goal is to help educate students and to play a part in the giving process that shapes our university. The campus, the buildings, and the overall college experience would be vastly different without philanthropy. By educating other students, and promoting the importance now, we are setting the UI up for a very prosperous future.

– Ryan Brennan

Class of 2019

RELATED: Guest Opinion: What does it mean to be PHIL at Iowa?