Guest opinion: Vote Mazahir Salih for City Council

James Year
Iowa City resident, Mazahir Salih, announces her cadidacy for city council at the Robert A. Lee Recreation Center on Monday, March 6, 2017. (The Daily Iowan/James Year)

I’m writing in support of Mazahir Salih’s campaign for an Iowa City City Council at-large seat. 

The preservation of affordable housing in Iowa City is a crucial issue, especially during this City Council election. In recent years, many local low-income housing units (such as Rose Oaks and the Ellis Avenue rooming house) have been demolished or reallocated to serve wealthier residents. Economic development shouldn’t be considered successful if it’s at the expense of low-income residents. Salih has shown unyielding commitment to this principle by fighting for affordable housing and a livable wage.

RELATED: Mazahir Salih aims to bring rights advocacy to City Council

Salih has long been a driven voice for the Sudanese community of Iowa City and a dedicated ally for all others. Through her leadership position at the Center for Worker Justice and several local boards and committees, Salih has proven that she’s trustworthy and experienced in advocating for communities that have not had much representation in our local government. She is genuine — no political posturing or fake compassion — and her energy is always inspiring.  All of this indicates to me that her actions on City Council will align with the community work and activism that she’s committed herself to thus far. 

I encourage everyone to take this opportunity to support such an influential candidate and vote for Salih on Nov. 7. 

— Hannah Russell