Gang participation added to charges against suspect in Iowa City Ped Mall shooting

Lamar Wilson, one of two men charged in the August Pedestrian Mall shooting, faces an additional charge of criminal gang participation.
Lamar Wilson (Johnson County Sheriff)

Authorities have charged Lamar Wilson, who faces a first-degree-murder charge in connection with a shooting on the Pedestrian Mall in August, with an additional charge of criminal gang participation, a Class-D felony.

Court documents filed Oct. 11 state that Wilson “did actively participate in and is a member of a criminal street gang and committed murder, attempted murder, and intimidation with a dangerous weapon for the benefit of or at the direction of or in association with any criminal street gang.”

Police previously said the shooting was not a random act and that the incident was between two known “groups,” one of which was from Iowa City. The police have also said the men charged in the shooting, as well as the victims, had, or have, criminal histories.

RELATED: Wilson to use Iowa’s new ‘Stand Your Ground’ defense in Ped Mall shooting trial

Wilson is also charged with three counts of intimidation with a dangerous weapon, two counts of attempted murder, and one count of first-degree murder. Wilson will face life in prison without parole if convicted of the first-degree murder charge, according to court documents. He has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The shooting incident resulted in two gunshot injuries and one death. No University of Iowa students were known to be involved in the incident.

Court documents from September said Wilson will use Iowa’s “Stand Your Ground” defense in his upcoming trial. That law allows people to use deadly force to protect themselves in the event that they believe they are in imminent danger.

Wilson’s trial is scheduled for Nov. 7. He is being held on a $1.75 million bond.

— by Andy Mitchell